Dharmaling Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Simona

Just checking

Tashi Delek.

[align=justify]My life is full of different events. (I am not an exception, yes, but I have to start somewhere.) Most of them are neutral. But there are times, when I experience, being involved personally or just as a witness, some extreme suffering or pleasure. Facing such moments (well, they are really rare) I just standing there, watching and asking myself IS THIS REALLY HAPPENING? Just can not believe it! And some kind of a feeling of non-reality or bizarreness arises. I wonder, if this is a kind of experiencing the emptiness? Or not?[/align]

Best regards,

Simona

Tashi Delek,

Yes, we all go through this type of unreal feelings... Either things are so beautiful that we are like "This must be a dream" and indeed, we feel we are in a dream for a while and we grab onto it until our emotional state eventually goes back to "normal" as "reality" sets back in... Or things are so sad, so dramatic that we are like "This cannot be happening, I'm going to wake up and none of this will have happened", etc, and we refuse to accept for a while what has happened, until one day we start facing our grief in order to go back to a regular emotional state... because we cannot live in denial forever, can we?

In both cases, the feeling of unreality comes from the ego, doesn't it?

In the first case, it is so happy that it enters in a dream state for a while, life is all wonderful, it's beyond ordinary happy experiences, we hear things like "My life's a dream!!!" (The sentient beings in the God's realm must feel like that constantly, even believing that they have passed beyong suffering!).

In the second case, the ego is going into a denial process because the pain that will derive from what happened is just not acceptable... The ego is retracting itself from the indubitable pain to come, doesn't want to experience it...

Yet, pain is the nature of Samsara, but we human beings with our ego have a tendency to deny that, we don't want to face it... So we can take refuge in "dream like" extreme happiness or denial when the corresponding conditions arise...

Although we must not deny our emotions, we must keep a close-eye onto them and constantly watch for where they're really coming from, and not let them go uncontrolled... Let us remember that for Buddhas, nothing is really dramatic, nothing is really "dreamlike" either, because they have awakened... These are all expressions of the ignorant, agitated, uncontrolled mind... or not?

Best regards,

Frederic

Reflecting some more on that, maybe the feeling of strangeness is in a way like experiencing emptiness! :o Maybe at this point of the yet to come joyful or dramatic event, the ego is somehow "caught of guard", because it doesn't know exactly how to react to the situation, so it somehow steps back for a moment and reality is perceived without ego grabbing at it! Therefore it feels strange at this moment because it is perceived empty as it really is, before the ego actually steps back in to bring drama or joy to it...

Tashi Delek, Frederic.

Points well taken!

There is absolutely no space for personal emotions, feelings of sadness or self-pity or panic or disappointments or fear or whatever feelings. Also the usual sense of time and place is off. Briefly, it is something beyond the limited ego and can not be built in the image of self. One just stands there with the eyes wide opened and finding out that the image of the self and the image of the world one lives in is falling apart like a house made up of cards. Such moments, I would say, do not bring one into the state of denial (cause they are too intensive), yet they ensure that one does stay on task, which is the spiritual progress. Only, if one is in the position in which does not react with the disturbing emotions, the wisdom and the compassion could be developed.

Best regards,

Simona

Only, if one is in the position in which does not react with the disturbing emotions, the wisdom and the compassion could be developed.

SO, LET'S DO IT! <|:)