Dharmaling Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Kama

soul/spirit

Tashi Delek,

It is difficult to say in words the difference between spirit and soul. There is a subtle emotion about this difference in me, but I can`t find the right words.

In every soul are other experiences treasured up. What about the spirit? Is it in every being? Is it pure? What is it?

What do I feel in my body during thinking? Is it my soul, my individual, my spirit?

All the best,

Kama

Tashi Delek, Kama.

It is difficult to say in words the difference between spirit and soul.

Would you start with the definition of the idea "the spirit" and of the idea "the soul"? Cause, from what I have been read, the idea of "the soul" is gently said quite disputable in the terms of the Buddhism. There is no soul in the meaning of an entity, which would travel from one life to another. "The spirit" is referring to the sentient being, which dwell in the hungry ghost realm. So, what do you mean by those two ideas?

Best regards,

Simona

Tashi Delek Simona,

So, I will try to explain, what I meant. It is difficult for me to talk about such philosophical things in English.

I agree with you, that there isn`t a "soul" as an entity. Is it better to use mind for 'the composure of experiences' , for your inner liveliness? The mind of each person is different and it is the mind, which travels from one life to another.

I think you mean the hungry ghosts with the "spirit"?! I don`t mean them.

As I described in the first post, I feel, that there is something else. Something, which connects you with the other beings. Something, which is pure and bright and is the same in every being. I called it the spirit.

What do you think?

I really hope, I could express myself better!

All the best,

Kama

Tashi Delek.

The mind of each person is different  and it is the mind, which travels from one life to another.

I would say that the mind is not something, which would travel. Mind is a succession of the moments in the way that each present moment is conditioned and transformed into the next present moment by those which immediately precede it. Mind is a flow, continuum, unending stream. It is the travel itself, in a way.

Something, which is pure and bright and  is the same in every being. I called it the spirit. What do you think?

I think that in such moments, in which the discussion leads to the Buddha nature of the mind I become aware of the value of the meditation and experinces vis-a-vis the intellectual knowledge. Even more, when discussion leads to the life-force (prana or lung), upon which the vitality of the mind depend.

Best regards,

Simona

Tashi Delek!

Thank you very much for your answer! It is a great help!

The last days I thought about your words. And I realized that I haven`t felt the essence of the word "mind" yet.

But then I found something similiar. During dancing I feel the flow, the unending stream. There is a mouvement and an other one comes, and so one. Pictures come and disappear, there are feelings and you can feel them, in the next moment they are gone with the wind....

There I can feel the mind.

What do you think travels from one life to another life?

Have a nice evening!

Kama

Tashi Delek, Kama.

What do you think travels from one life to another life?

One life precedes the another one and so on. It seems they stands in the line like letters in alphabetical order, if they are considered as forms in the conventional meaning. Once being a man in China, next time being a woman in Africa,...If one can write words and constitute ideas by the help of the letters, maybe one could also “write” something with all lives one has lived? One can observe the single letters or one can do something with them. There are so many opened questions regarding the Universe, the black hole, for example (hole in hole, for which the scientists thought that it is neverending, but now they think that it came somewhere out, like to sink into water and then appear somewhere far in the other location of the Universe).

One can study biology or languages or law, but there is the point from which one sees that everything is connected and that one matter is just supplements of the other. Well, what I wrote is my opinion and it is based on my everyday life, from which I learnt that if you connect things, it is so much more easier to “travel”. But not from one life to another, yet somewhere else, where one can not even imagine...

Best regards,

Simona