Dharmaling Forums
Sign in to follow this  
farman

Pure Lands

I need to reallly get a book on this and plan to order one soon, but in the mean time, can anyone explain the differences in Pure Lands as far as Teachings and practices go. What makes one attracted to Amitabha's Pure Dewachen realm, verses Shambhala or the copper colored mountain? Does each practitioner develop an affinity with one or the other? How does this impact one's daily practice requirments? Thanks for reading and hopefully writing! :D

How does the concept of the 5 Buddha Families fit into one's practice? Isn't their a specific family that each practitioner is connected to? This is what I meant by Pure Lands I guess. Are we somehow connected to one of the lineages?,... and wouldn't that connect us to a Pure Land by affiliation?

Birthless hyper-space, blank radiance

my heart has always been, cradling galaxies,

through the power of Amitabha's Vow,

of Avalokita's all-seeing concern,

of Padmakara's blessing waves,

may I be reborn in Copper Mountain's Lotus Light,

may I awaken there, then manifest again

wherever needful until suffering has ceased.

hmshutton and others,

I think I read once where the 5 Buddha families were a direct correspondence to the 5 bright and 5 dim lights seen in the sambogakaya...the period of existence between death and rebirth. Does that mean that there are 5 upper and 5 lower realms of existence? If you are drawn to a realm, isn't this due to the efects of one's karma? Is it true that the dim yellow light leads to this realm?

Tashi Delek.

Does that mean that there are 5 upper and 5 lower realms of existence?

From where did you get these numbers? Within the Samsara there are 3 upper realms (Devas, i.e. gods, Asuras, i.e. demi-gods and Human beings) and 3 lower realms (Animals, Pretas, i.e. hungry ghosts and Hells).

And there are also some other states of the existence, which are formless and pure and they are out of the Samsara.

If you are drawn to a realm, isn't this due to the efects of one's karma?

It is said that winds of the karma carry the bardo body to the realm of the next rebirth.

Best regards,

Simona

Tashi Delek,

How does the concept of the 5 Buddha Families fit into one's practice? Isn't their a specific family that each practitioner is connected to?

I don't know.

For your information: our weekly/daily practice includes Refuge, the Four Immeasurables, Seven branches prayer, an offering of mandala, 21 Short Praises to Tara, one mala of Tara mantra, one mala of Chenrezig mantra, two malas of Majushri mantra (the second with only "dhi"s), short prayers for the long lives of His Holiness the Dalai Lama and Lama Shenphen Rinpoche, and dedication.

All done with the correct visualizations of the Refuge Tree, and the Deities.

Best regards,

Khyenrab

our weekly/daily practice includes ...

Tashi Delek, Kyenrab,

where and when is such a practice given? Is it like "a typical practice"? I thought it could vary from person to person what kind of practice he does. So, is the practice you mentioned, the one recommended for a beginner (of the Gelug tradition?) to start with??? Or did I mix anything now?

Could also anyone be so kind to put up a link to the pictures of how to perform The world mandala offering? I forgot how you have to put your fingers correctly ... :(

With my best wishes.

Tashi Delek,

where and when is such a practice given? Is it like "a typical practice"?
For now in Godesic in the small Gompa, usually every monday at 18.30, tomorrow also. (please subscribe to Dharmaling news mailing list to see the exact program here)

It is a general practice that could be done in any Tradition of Tibetan Buddhism. I think beginners could do it, but it seems that the more you practice it the deeper it becomes :) and therefore suitable for advanced beginners too ;)

It is a practice as advised by our kind Lama Shenphen Rinpoche to do every week or daily, according to individual motivation.

Welcome.

Best regards,

Khyenrab

Deer Friends!

I found the quote that started this thread. It's from His Holiness's Dzogchen text, on page 29...."Through the empowerment, you are empowered into the essence of the buddhas of the five families. In particular, you are 'ripened' within that particular family through which it is your personal predisposition to attain buddhahood..."This, I feel, is an important point in one's daily visualization practice...don't you?

Khyenrab,

I haven't read about Pure Lands much....just some light gossip....but I also have heard very high beings treat the subject matter with a great deal of respect. It seems then, that these places or locations actually exist and if that is true, then there must be some way that they could potentiate one's practice while in this realm.Does this make sense?Kind of use their energy and transformative potential here...now. Just a thought...

It seems then, that these places or locations actually exist and if that is true, then there must be some way that they could potentiate one's practice while in this realm.Does this make sense?Kind of use their energy and transformative potential here...now. Just a thought...

From what I have heard and read in Dharma books, Pure lands do exist, and one can be reborn there, which would be cool as these places are very favourable to spiritual practice. But the most impotant thing I remember is that any merit (virtuous action) created in our "obscured" lands is far superior to merits created in Pure lands. Which makes sense: where is easier to calm the mind and develop loving kindness for others, in the peaceful plenty or inside the arena of the Big Apple for example?

Ergo, if we practice BuddhaDharma well right here right now, we would be much better off than some celestial beings in the "heavens". :)

I wouldn't rule my forgetfulness out, and these info could be incorrect...

Best regards

OK....nobody will say anything....tantric secrecy I'm sure. That's really understandable considering the planet is melting!

Here's what I think........In the sambogakaya....everyone sees their original...unmistakeable face....sees both foward and backward and enters the next womb where they undergo amnesia again, for the very first time...again.....The soul purpose of our practices is to uncover this face while awake so as to be of benefit to others.

The five Buddha Families are in the sambogakay naturally......resting in consciousness......different colors for different energies,....attracted to the one color that will develop you the best...no secrets there! ...is what I think. Link up with the family that naturally draws you, type bullshit!

:lol:

Guest Ani.Chödrön

Tashi Delek,

There are many paths to Buddhahood as we have many dispositions of mind. Emphasis to the 5 Dhyani Buddhas is just one of the possibilities. The common denominator of all the schools is the same: the predisposition to Buddhahood is Bodhicitta - the Mind of Awakening. !:! Without it Enlightenment is not possible.

The Dhyani families are often mentioned within the topic of death, but even in this case all the appearances that our mind experiences during the dying process refer to our past practices: to our inclinations as well as the strength of our practice.

In any case, first we need firm ground, then a perfect Guide who can direct us further. The 5 Dhyani Buddhas practices migth suit our mind most or they might not. :<

As far as I know the same basic topics are interwoven in the fundamental practices of all the schools: renunciation from samsara’s limitations and the wish for Enlightenment; pacification of our monkey mind and developing concentration; motivation to help others; and sharpening of our wisdom to do it in a proper way. These practices should gradually make our mind more peaceful and pliant, happier and a better tool. ;-F

About the Pure Lands: they say that each being as soon as (s)he reaches the state of Buddhahood dwells in a kind of Pure Land.

With all the best wishes,

chödrön

Tashi Delek, farman.

OK....nobody will say anything....tantric secrecy I'm sure. That's really understandable considering the planet is melting!

Do you believe that by the exposing everything you will become richer? Isn`t the aim not to expose secrets, but to experience their depth?

Best regards,

Simona