Dharmaling Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest admin

Genetically Modified Organism

Guest admin

Unfortunately, lets start with a sad news:

For the first time since 1999, the European Commission has authorized the importation of a genetically modified food, the sweet corn "BT-11" (source: AFP).

This corn has been modified to produce a TOXIN only present in bacteria, to be resistant to insects but resistant to insecticides!

Be aware that this corn is meant to be eaten by human being, either in tin or as pop-corn. By the way, this corn was already imported since 1999, but as oil, not in tin.

in Europe, GMO food has to be declared and written on the package, but only above 0,99%! Which means that we might be already eating genetically modified food. We absolutely need to be careful and aware!

More info about GMO: GREENPEACE

Unfortunately, lets start with a sad news:

For the first time since 1999, the European Commission has authorized the importation of a genetically modified food, the sweet corn "BT-11" (source: AFP).

This corn has been modified to produce a TOXIN only present in bacteria, to be resistant to insects but resistant to insecticides!

Be aware that this corn is meant to be eaten by human being, either in tin or as pop-corn. By the way, this corn was already imported since 1999, but as oil, not in tin.

in Europe, GMO food has to be declared and written on the package, but only above 0,99%! Which means that we might be already eating genetically modified food. We absolutely need to be careful and aware!

I found this confusing, so i googled, since i was sure the insect/insecticide thing was probably a misquote somehow (it seemed to say the same thing twice). I found a lot that worries me (and makes me glad i eat homegrown!) and the following from

www.syngenta.com/en/downloads/Bt_sweet_corn_update_3-04_final.pdf

It says it has the following properties:

"A synthetic Bt gene (Cry1Ab), which was derived from the common soil bacterium Bacillus thuringiensis, widely used as a biological control agent against various insect pests. The presence of the Bt protein (Cry1Ab) protects the plant from insect damage.

¦#149; A marker gene, (called pat), which gives the plant a tolerance to phosphinothricine, the active ingredient of glufosinate ammonium herbicides. This gene is derived from the soil bacterium Streptomyces viridochromogenes. The herbicide tolerance gene allowed selection of transformed plants in the development stage and although it is present in plants, glufosinate ammonium herbicides are not registered for use with Bt sweet corn. Bt-11 insect-protected sweet corn produces the Bt protein in its leaves, silks, stalks and ears throughout its life, enabling it to provide season-long protection against these devastating insect pests. "

That was just the factual part. There were plenty of other sites that gave the downside. I am sorry you must now contend with this also. I don't suppose they give the cows hormones there, do they? Everything is messed with here. Ah, the USA. Leading the way in mutations. :(

The fact that it is derived from a form of strep bothers me. At least, that's what it looks like to me. It seems to say that it is giving a tolerance to a herbicide that isn't even used on sweet corn.

What gets me is that New Zealand has permitted it. They are very against this sort of thing.

The insect resistance means that the bacteria in the corn leaves, etc. that is ingested by the corn borers is toxic and kills them. More nasty karma of killing, too. It just gets better. Herbicide resistance is so weed killers don't kill it. I didn't see anything about isecticides in what i read. Just herbicides and insects. The plant sort of becomes the insecticide.

Thank you for posting this. Good information.

Guest admin
The insect resistance means that the bacteria in the corn leaves, etc. that is ingested by the corn borers is toxic and kills them. More nasty karma of killing, too. It just gets better. Herbicide resistance is so weed killers don't kill it. I didn't see anything about isecticides in what i read. Just herbicides and insects. The plant sort of becomes the insecticide.
Yes, and so we are eating a toxic product (yes, the plant IS the insecticide), proven to be creating abnormal mutations on animals!