Dharmaling Forums
Sign in to follow this  
farman

Dharma Protectors

As anyone who visits this forum knows, I am very new to Tibetan Buddhism and have alot of misunderstandings and views and therefore, alot of questions. I have been reading about the NKT / Kelsang Gyatso / Dorje Shugden controversy and am a loyal supporter and fan of His Holiness The 14th Dalai Lama. What is one to do? How does this affect Tibetan Buddism as a whole? How does it change the practice requirements to a dharma protector? Is Mahakala the ligitimate Dharma Protector for most practitioners? I try to use the jewel method of incorporation and see the Dharma Protector as part of my Guru. Is this accurate? I guess my real question is...how does the presence of a dangerous element that you don't fully understand affect one's individual practice? What do we do now?

Tashi delek,

The story goes backward of over 300 years, and is a bit complicated. But summerized, His Holiness the Dalaï-Lama requested to stop all practice of Shugden, as this protector is not Enlightened, and therefore not a proper object of Refuge. Furthermore, this deity request worshiping and appears as not equanime at all (protecting more some schools, and being against some others; which is not very 'Buddhist').

Continuing the practice of Shugden is a direct threat to the Compassionate activities of His Holiness the Dalaï-Lama and the work of the Tibetan Government.

The devellopment of NKT is based on this practice. Their leader (Kelsang Gyatso) is a fervent follower and practitioner of Shugden, who organised several manifestation against His Holiness!

As a follower of His Holiness the Dalaï-Lama - Emanation of the most compassionate Buddha Chenrezig - we do stay away from whatever is related to this deity!

Yes, Mahakala is a proper Dharma Protector, as Hayagriva, Pälden Lhamo, and several other Buddhas.

Yet, the best protection one can ever have, is the one coming from the practice of Buddha-Dharma. If one practice well, no negative karma is accumulated; and previoulsy accumulated negative karmas are slowly purified, along with accumulation of merits. This is the real 'protection'.

All the best, Gelong T. Shenphen