Dharmaling Forums
Sign in to follow this  
just_me

Mowing the Lawn and Gardening

Tashi Delek!

Ok, i haven't had to do either of those things very much in a while, but now i have to help out with mowing and gardening where i am staying. I am concerned about killing bugs and other small beings when i do these things, especially mowing. No matter how slow i go, i am sure somebody gets cut up. What should i do?

Thank you!

me

Thank you for that new English word: "mowing"

I would say that of course you have to be as careful as possible, to look for bugs. I would also suggest to water the grass before, so to force the bugs to escape at least from the top of the grass... And then to recite many Mani mantras while doing the job!

All the best, Gelong Shenphen

Thank you for that new English word: "mowing"

You're welcome. :)

There is a mantra that can be said in the morning to bless the feet (om kraytsara ghana hum hri soha). I have heard it can be used for other modes of transport as well (mentioned during a retreat with Lama Zopa Rinpoche, but not by him, i think. Probably Ven. René). Would it be useful for lawn mowers? I can't water 3 acres of grass first. My dad would kill me (bad for the machine) and no hose that long! However, manis are definitely do-able. More reasons for the folks to laugh at the bug rescuer. Cool. 8)

Thank you.

LOL!!! I just noticed the forums say i am a thinker (i know the ratings and all, it just seems really funny to me at the moment). Think too much, probably.

Ah, yes, question related to mowing and such...

So, mowing. My parents just put "grub-x" on the lawn. I cried my eyes out. Grub killer. Lovely. And then rejoice that they will be dead. Even better. *sigh* They have no clue and i can tell them nothing, i am their daughter and that limits it.

My question is not about that. It is about accidental kiliing/injuring or even bugs i never knew got hurt or killed. Most of the parts of the action are absent, so i assume the result is less strong? I have never said so many mani's before in my life. Probably good for me on that level. Anyway, i am wondering the results of the maimings and killings i don't even realize happen due to my actions. And the ones that happen where i never even saw the bug in question.

Thanks, Lama.la!

A confession to share with you.

Today I went for a little stroll in the woods. It was lovely, the sun high up, very warm and pleasant. After awhile I came across a small baby non-poisonous snake which was in the middle of the path. Since it is quite crouded I decided to remove it and prevent the danger of somebody steping on it. I had quite some trouble, it was moving quickly but always in the wrong direction, as if it wanted to remain there, I, a shy boy that I am, didn't have the courage to pick it up with my hand, so I helped myself with a small wooden branch. It still didn't work. A stubborn little devil! Then I picked it up and as I did it, the snake got afraid and started "wiggling". Then I got afraid. :) What hapened next I regret. :? I quickly threw it off the path, but it landed in such a way that it was cut in two pieces. The tail was still moving but the front part disappeared in the bush. A few OM MANI PADME HUMs and I was on my way.

"When we try to help we must also be careful how we do it."

Best regards,

Khyenrab

oh poor snake !!

When I was young, I'd hurt a snake too, but it's not dead ! I was very scared and at the same time, fascinating by it's color, yellow and black, I still don't know if he was dangerous or not, but the teaching I had after (by myslef) was that, even if the animal or the person is dangerous, we have to treat him with respect, and be tactfull about who we handle it ... with care !

Since this accident, I always be carefull about what happened to animals, even for the little beetle and orther ants. I'm not shy to take snakes or others little animals in hands, especially lizards. It was not so far I didn't like spiders, but by time and now I can take them in my hand, I'd just say to myself that, she'll never eat me and she wants to live too ! When I walk on the forest (no far from home) I used to watch on the floor if I don't crush a little "creepy crawly", (they're not so creepy!!).

But I'm remembering a cold winter when I've fund a buzzard, dead by cold or disease, behind a ton, I was trembeling as never, I couldn't talk, and I cried for this Buzzard and I wished for him that it didn't suffer and find the peace in heaven ! It was a shock !

I feel concerned by what happened to animal, sometimes more than humans, 'cause if sometime animals is dying on roads or else, it's our mistake and fault and we can prevent this, but nobody is moving on that way, that's why I don't want to pass my driver's licence .. but the other reason is the pollution .. my parents don't understand me !

Just a question, had somebody ever gone in a place that you don't hear planes, cars, the people shoutings, a place where there are no electrics line that cut the sky ?

Recently I've watching Ushuaïa Nature, they talked about Mongolia ... it's wounderfull, and I imagine that they aren't disturbing by trains, planes or cars , that would be more than wounderfull ! isn't it ?

Winky,

:wink: Angy

but the teaching I had after (by myslef) was that, even if the animal or the person is dangerous, we have to treat him with respect, and be tactfull about who we handle it ... with care !

Absolutely agree. :)

Since this accident, I always be carefull about what happened to animals, even for the little beetle and orther ants. I'm not shy to take snakes or others little animals in hands, especially lizards. It was not so far I didn't like spiders, but by time and now I can take them in my hand, I'd just say to myself that, she'll never eat me and she wants to live too ! When I walk on the forest (no far from home) I used to watch on the floor if I don't crush a little "creepy crawly", (they're not so creepy!!).

That's nice. :)

I feel concerned by what happened to animal, sometimes more than humans, 'cause if sometime animals is dying on roads or else, it's our mistake and fault and we can prevent this,

We could also prevent many deadly drunk and speed driving accidents that kill humans! :wink: When it comes to caring of others we should feel equal compassion towards every being, I feel. Otherwise we get cauht in preferences which can quicjly lead to selfish attitudes although we might feel how marvellously generous and compassionate we are. If it is directed towards special persons and cannot be offered to others, it is selfish. :wink:

but nobody is moving on that way, that's why I don't want to pass my driver's licence .. but the other reason is the pollution .. my parents don't understand me !

There are far worse things that you can do to the world than drive a car. I feel that if you get really very angry at somebody for no good reason just once, it is far worse karma than driving a heavy monster-petrol-consuming truck for ten years. :wink:

Just a question, had somebody ever gone in a place that you don't hear planes, cars, the people shoutings, a place where there are no electrics line that cut the sky ?

Recently I've watching Ushuaïa Nature, they talked about Mongolia ... it's wounderfull, and I imagine that they aren't disturbing by trains, planes or cars , that would be more than wounderfull ! isn't it ?

One has to find peace inside. Then everywhere you go - there is peace. Meditation is the medicine. :wink:

Be well :)

Khyenrab

oh well you're true, it's selfinsh to give more importance to a being than another, it's a great lesson ! :oops:

We could also prevent many deadly drunk and speed driving accidents that kill humans!

Yes, we can prevent it, in many ways .. and everybody know what alcohol can do as drugs and speed ..but some of them say : "oh no that will never happen to me ..." maybe never, but even if they aren't dead, they maybe killed an innocent !

I have a friend that have made an accident such like this .. a friend and him just gone away a night club after drinking, then they had an accident, my friend (those driven) is alive but his friend is dead in the accident, he had made prison for alcohol abuse and murder .. it was very hard for him , a lost friend and then prison, but know he's in an anti-alcohol association, and drive people hwo have drink to their home ... but if only people react like this before to have the accident .. why people pay attention after the tragic accident and not before ? :(

as a cyclist, I used to be very vigilent, 2 times more than drivers, a time I lapsed to have an accident with a men that have drink too much and make some "fish tailes" to other drivers and the 10 meters later, he lapsed to crush another cyclist ... it was the fear of my life ... and say to myslef I had chance, the other cyclist too and the others drivers like us ... but maybe more far away a perso didn't have the chance we had .. that give the consciousness of the fragility of life and how it could be destroy by ignorance , fear and anger. I'll don't lie when I say that at any moment I was in anger for this men .. I'd asking myself why he was in such situation ! and pray for him to be vigilant back and make no victims !

One has to find peace inside. Then everywhere you go - there is peace. Meditation is the medicine.

Sure I agree, but I asked this question in the way of travelling .. even if we can travel with our mind !! :wink:

Bye for now

Angy :D

Dear Angy,

I go to the mountains. :) Here in Slovenia there are many most beautiful ones with heavenly views on the top. :) There is an occasional airoplane in the sky but at 4 o'clock in the morning - all is silent, all is still :) . Like at the beginning of the dawn of time it seems. You hear only pure air coming in and out of your body and your slow but light footsteps along the path. There you await the sunrise, and at that moment - all is well, fresh and new - including the mind. :wink::) Now I am getting poetic! :D

All the best,

Khyenrab

ohh great !!

Get poetic, it's a good thing ! :wink:

lot of thanx for your comment Khyenrab ! :D