Dharmaling Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Pamo

Mandala, respect & lung

Tashi Delek,

after yesterday's questions/answers session, I would like to ask: where a three-dimensional mandala could be seen?

Also, does lung then mean any energy disturbance? Would these 84.000, if labeled by western terminology, be talked about as diseases?

And also please, when one gives a Tara image on the card for example to someone, and then this someone does not know all about how to respect it properly, and is for example sleeping with his/her feet turned towards Tara, is this considered as disrespectful if one does not know about it...so this someone can produce some negative karma for it?

Thank you and best wishes,

Pamo

Guest Ani.Chödrön

Tashi Delek,

after yesterday's questions/answers session, I would like to ask: where a three-dimensional mandala could be seen?

Any mandala is in fact a three dimensional palace, but you are asking about the offering of the mandala of the Universe, aren't you?

You can find a nice map here: http://www.fpmt-osel.org/meditate/mandala.htm

A picture of the Universe according the Abidharmakosha (like in the mandala offering) here: http://www2.bremen.de/info/nepal/Gallery-3...-Mandala-D5.htm

Another one here: http://thangkas.de/html/0-110.html

And a 3D mandala from another world-system, Kalachakra, here: http://www.graphics.cornell.edu/online/mandala/far.gif

Also, does lung then mean any energy disturbance? Would these 84.000, if labeled by western terminology, be talked about as diseases?

Alexander Berzin writes about Lung (subtle energy disorders):

“Whether in retreat or in daily meditation, it is important not to push ourselves too hard. Pushing ourselves causes anxiety and frustration, commonly referred to in Tibetan as a lung (rlung, subtle energy-wind) disorder. Lung may also arise due to insufficient preparation for the retreat or meditation practice, and the confusion and frustration that follow from lack of clarity about what we are doing or why.

Lung may manifest as quickened pulse, pain around the heart and back, and a general feeling of nervousness, restlessness, and irritability. It may cause visions, ringing in the ears, seemingly "out-of-body" experiences, and/or insomnia.

Imbalances of lung are not easy to quiet. Knowing when to take a break and to rest is helpful, as are long distance views, laughter, friendly affection, and keeping warm. If it is necessary to take a nap during the day, sleeping for only twenty minutes is sufficient to refresh ourselves, and short enough to avoid the heavy, dull feeling that comes from sleeping too long during the day. Avoid getting cold, being in drafts or wind or under a fan, and listening to loud music, particularly music with strong base and drums. Loud machinery and television and computer screens that emit much radiation may also aggravate lung.

Diet also affects lung. Items that will worsen a lung disorder include: coffee, black tea, green tea, chocolate, and anything else containing caffeine, lentils, chicken, pork. Items that quiet a lung disorder include: fatty dairy products, warm milk, lamb, wheat products, such as bread.”

http://www.berzinarchives.com/sutra/sutra_...meditation.html

And also please, when one gives a Tara image on the card for example to someone, and then this someone does not know all about how to respect it properly, and is for example sleeping with his/her feet turned towards Tara, is this considered as disrespectful if one does not know about it...so this someone can produce some negative karma for it?

If your feet are disrespectful, somebody else’s feet are not less respectful. So, from respect to a Buddha it is better to tell to a person what is good to be avoided or to take care that a cat doesn’t step on a Dharma text…

But good imprints can weigh out the negative ones. It does not make sense to prevent a person to get a contact with Dharma because of possible ignorance about all the rules of proper behaviour in front of the Three Jewels. :D

All the very best,

chödrön

Tashi Delek to all,

I have a somewhat similar question to Pamo. It concerns meditation and practices. If for instance someone meditates (silently, of course), but this disturbes another person up to the point that makes her irritated and even angry and therby causing much of negative karma in this other person: how to deal with such a problem? How not to help creating negative karma in another person (yes, I know, this person herself makes negative causes - but here I am interested in what to do in order not to enhace production of a negative karma in others).

Just now I remembered one Jataka story where there is a "relationship" between two monks, one that is more spiritually advanced and another that is envious about this first monk and very much afraid that the monk no.1 will "steal" away the admiration of a good man that was supproting the monk n.2 with clothes and food. When the monk no. 1 finds out how the things stand - that is that indirectly he is a cause of negative karma for the monk no.2 - he silently leaves the village.

All the best,

t. kunzang

Thank you Ani Chodron, this first link regarding mandalas can be a very nice help. If one is not lazy or impatient. :DD

Regarding lung, what is meant by this word, it then includes much more than what we would call diseases, of what I am able to understand from what it is said. Thank for the Berzin Archive link too.

And even though I agree with what you say about (dis)respect, I still wonder about the consequenses..

Have a good time.

Pamo

Tashi Delek,

If for instance someone meditates (silently, of course), but this disturbes another person up to the point that makes her irritated and even angry and therby causing much of negative karma in this other person: how to deal with such a problem?

It would be good to know why exactly she got angry. Maybe she doesn't understand the meaning of meditation, maybe she felt she was being arrogantly ignored when she stepped in the room and you were sitting comfortably on your meditation cushion with your eyes closed, not opening them, not greeting or showing any emotion?

It's always good to talk to people, and ask what they felt was wrong, what made them angry... and then patiently and with love explain what you were doing and why.

Easier said than done o:)

With kind regards

Guest Ani.Chödrön

Tashi Delek

I still wonder about the consequenses..

How could a general answer be given? There are so many different contexts for each person's action, so many personal histories... that also the karmic results are different.

But when we reach the 1st bumi, we'll be able to foresee a hundred lives of consequences of each such action. :wink:

Before, we can just trust that the guidelines for the ethical discipline are well grounded. {|:) I think that practice always proves them right - sooner or later. ;-F

All the very best,

chödrön

Hello Ani Chodron,

How could a general answer be given?

You know, I just worry sometimes for the ones I care for...I didn't expect a scheme, no...Thank you for trying to answer.

Best regards, :*

Pamo

with his/her feet turned towards Tara, is this considered as disrespectful if one does not know about it...so this someone can produce some negative karma for it?

Just an idea :roll: ; it might be more suitable to offer to non-Buddhists - scripts like this one, they can use them as a decoration on a book shelf or similar but in fact their consciousness will be purified by occassionally looking at them :)

Tashi Delek,

I just think we should be careful what we present others with, it depends on the person of course, but most people would more easily accept a script such as the Liberation Upon Seeing than a picture of Green Tara, no?

I offered a small Buddha statue once, and it was "over the top", I feel I shouldn't have done it. Religious matters are very personal.

I am thinking in general here... don't get me wrong, there might be completely nothing wrong with presenting a Tara picture - on the contrary! :)

With kind regards

Tashi Delek, all,

I agree with Khyenrab. It is better not to push with Buddhism on the persons that would - because of being pushed upon - only end with hating Buddhism or at least projecting their own negative feelings (because they found themselves pushed into something) upon Buddhism. Perhaps it is better to think in such occasions: how would you react now or 5 years ago if some friend gave you a picture of Virgin Mary or some of the Christian saints? I, personally, would respect religious feelings of this hypothetic friend, but would not really know what to do with the picture and so the picture would have ended lost somewhere. This, of course, would not be the good result, if I turn again to Buddhism.