Dharmaling Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Simona

Mind / body

Tashi Delek.

When a sentient being is dying and entering the bardo state, what is a result of the mechanism of dying in the case of Enlightenment regarding the mind on the one side and the body on the other side? The mind become the Dharmakaya and the body become the Sambhogakaya, if I understand correctly. Does this mean that a sentient being theoretically cannot ever get rid of the body, but only leaping into more subtile forms of it? Can the mind exist without a form?

Best regards,

Simona

Guest Ani.Chödrön

Tashi Delek.

Every being exists within a body. Even a Buddha, as you said. Dharmakaya does not have a form, but it is still considered a (very subtle) body.

All the very best,

chödrön

Tashi Delek.

Dharmakaya does not have a form, but it is still considered a (very subtle) body.

As I do not understand therefore I kindly ask for the explanation of the term "the body" and "the form" and what is the difference between them, what could be done by them. Are they instruments with which the mind operates in order to achieve what ever its motivation would be? Is the air (the usual one) the body (it has several characteristics) or is it a form?

Best regards,

Simona

As “body” we could refer to the definition of “form”. And this includes tangible objects (touchable by a body consciousness), but also:

- forms for mental consciousness,

- arising from aggregation,

- space-form;

but also more subtle such as:

- imaginary forms,

- forms from meditative power,

- and also form from promises.

So, not all bodies are tangible, but some refers to spiritual achievement, or characteristics of one’s consciousness.

Attaining Buddhahood, one will obtain a Buddha’s Form Body and a Truth Body, which are said to be the result of the aim for oneself and the others.

As I said yesterday during the ‘questions/answers’ session in Slovenia, we can say that a Buddha has one main body: Truth Body. That body can be divided in several ways.

This Truth Body (Tib.: Chö.ku) is composed of two parts: Nature Body (Ngo.wo.nyi.ku) and Wisdom Body (Ye.she.chö.ku).

Natude Body is Emptiness and Ultimate Truth. Wisdom Body is perfect Wisdom; it is the Buddha’s omniscient consciousness, cognizing the emptiness of everything non-dualistically.

Note: We are using the word “body” for sake of classification, but it refers to the consciousness.

Whereas, the body of a Bodhisattva at the end of his Path (end of the continuum as a ‘sentient being’) becomes an “Enjoyment Body” (Tib.: Long.ku; Skt.: Sambhogakaya).

Both Enjoyment and Emanation Bodies are created together, as result of countless accumulation of Merits and Wisdom.

Enjoyment Bodies remain in Highest Pure Lands. Each Buddha has His own Highest Pure Land (which is not made of matter, of course, but manifestation of the Buddha’s Wisdom).

Constantly, answering the needs of sentient beings, a Buddha also display uncountable amount of Emanation Bodies (Tib.: Trul.ku; Skt.: Nirmanakaya).

I hope this answers your question.

All the best, Gelong T. Shenphen

Tashi Delek, ven. Lama Shenphen Rinpoche,

thank you very much for the answer. My limited mind painted its own picture: the body is the substance or essence itself, whereas the form is the mode in which this very essence exist and the mode can be established through the relation to the body. Somehow, I see the analogy with the mind and the mental factors, where the mind could be considered as the body and the mental factors as different forms of it.

Best regards,

Simona