Dharmaling Forums
Sign in to follow this  
lacu

meditation

Is this correct meditation :If one breath in and aware of the sensation of the breath coming in , hold the breath and put the awareness on the tip of the nose and breath out and aware of the sensation of the breath leaving ?Can this method develop single pointed concentration ?Normal breathing meditation was breath in and breath out and not deliberately hold the breath .

Dear Lacu

Is this correct meditation :If one breath in and aware of the sensation of the breath coming in , hold the breath and put the awareness on the tip of the nose and breath out and aware of the sensation of the breath leaving ?

I`ve just heared teachings on shine.

"Putting the awareness on the tip of the nose " should not be understood literal. If you start to concentrate all the time on the tip of your nose you will get problems with your eyes!!!!!!

Putting the awareness on the tip of the nose means that you place your eyesight in direction to your nose down. If your nose is "quite big" you will see then little bit the tip of your nose naturally.But if your nose is quite small, you won`t see your nose.

It appears to me after having red this post of you that you are learning meditation on shine more from a book than from a teacher.

Please be careful, teacher is very important.

There are many translation mistakes , we could easily misunderstand certain expressions which are coming from another culture etc.

For instance: "To have ones arms during shine like one bird ( Geier )".

It is just a picture for the right position but some people who were just reading books misunderstood it, took it literally and during their try of shine they were moving their arms like a bird and wondered why meditation is exhausing with time.....

It is a real story told by one Rinpoche

Concerning breathing methods for shine.

You will get special breathing excercices and explanations to it privately from your teacher when the time is right for you.

Of course you can read all those books and read about many different exercises concerning shine, but will it be of use for you ?

My view is we should get proper knowledge in the subject we are dealing with at present. When our teacher sayes, do now prostration and vajrasattva of ngöndro, than mostly I will try to get a good knowledge in that, because I am practicing that.

When I am just reading the things which are important for me at present, having to do sth. directly with my practice, I have then more time practicing and doing things which are important for my daily life. Thus I will not put myself into the danger of becoming too much intellectual without putting things into daily practice, and I will not misuse dharma for running away from life, like watching lots of TV/movies all the day without digesting the content.

To make it simple:

I will not collect 100kg of bread at one time when I can just eat per day 1 piece of bread.It is better after having eaten ones bread to buy from time to time again bread,otherwise it makes no sence and it is just waste of money.

I think best is do what your teacher is telling you and forget about other methods, it is just waste of time thinking too much about practices which you are just reading somewhere in a book, or which you are hearing at teachings from XY Rinpoche.

It is just information, information is good but don`t go too much into that information.

Use and concentrate on the methods you got into your hands from your teacher.

And if you are really interested in a certain information you`ve just heared, you can ask your teacher. If it is a good method for you he will tell you to do it, if not, he will tell you maybe later or forget about it.

With kind regards

Csillag