Dharmaling Forums
Sign in to follow this  
farman

mindfulness

I came to Tibetan Vajrayana Buddhism through the Theravedan door. I did alot of reading and meditation practice from their viewpoint. There was alot of emphasis on cultivating moment to moment mindfulness.....so much so that the breath, and not the Guru, was their focus. I now have problems finding a place to hang their teachings and continue on the current path. Does anyone understand my question? I guess I'm asking where does mindfulness fit in Tibetan Buddhism?

Tashi delek,

I now have problems finding a place to hang their teachings and continue on the current path. Does anyone understand my question? I guess I'm asking where does mindfulness fit in Tibetan Buddhism?

Mindfulness is indeed also very important in Tibetan Buddhism. Yet, it is not the only point. The very important focus is "Bodhicitta", the Awakening Mind, Ultimate Compassion. The reason why we practice, the goal of our spiritual Path, Buddhahood.

And this Buddhahood can be reached following the Sutra or the Tantra Path. For the second, as you seems to know, the 'Guru' is very important.

All the very best, Gelong T. Shenphen

Deer Lama Shenphen and others,

I remember an influential text of Zen that I read early on...."Zen Mind Beginners Mind." Alot of it made practical sense but was difficult to put into action. There was a passage that read something like"....whatever you are doing, do it will your complete body and mind....be like a good bonfire that burns up the brush without any remainder...not like a smoky one that leaves unburnt trash..."(paraphrased) But I haven't read any Tibetan Text that deal with the moment to moment awareness that was typical of Zen text unless it was something Dzogchen-like. Does this help to rephrase my question any? I guess I'm asking what we do with our daily like...make it all a Tsog offering?!