Dharmaling Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Csillag

Never to abandon Bodhicitta

Tashi delek,

Not to give up Bodhicitta is one of the root vow within the Bodhisattva vows.

Concering this vow I have some unclearity/uncertainty: I think I heared once that even to get angry at someone for a short moment is breaking this vow. But I am not sure.

To give up a sentient being does this mean "as well "to be angry with a sentient being ?

Is it to get angry at someone a definitive break of ones vow (which would then imply that formally one needs to repair the vow ) or is it just a transgression ?

Within the branch vows of the Bodhisattva vows I`ve found within a text of Chandrakirti, that there is defiled transgression, transgression without defilement and there is no fault.

For example : to reject an invitation

Should a Bodhisattva, upon being invited to another`s place and so forth, fail to go constrained by pride, anger or hatred, there is defiled transgression.

To fail to go out of laziness or absentmindedness is a transgression without defilement.

There is no fault in cases of a distraught mind, exerting discipline by that means, a previous commitment, obligation to continue some wholesome endeavor, when it would interrupt the hearing or teaching of doctrine, the places remote and dangerous, guarding the mind of another, suspecting the invitation was made with malicious intention, suspecting that the patron will come to regret it, or keeping a internaIl rule of community.

I wonder if these 3 also apply to the root Bodhisattva vows ( exept giving up Bodhicitta and wrong views )....?????

With kind regards

Csillag

Tashi Delek,

Is it to get angry at someone a definitive break of ones vow (which would then imply that formally one needs to repair the vow

I think so, yes, anger will break it.

You repair the Bodhisattva vows by taking them again or renew them with a ceremony infront of your Lama. Though, we do bear the karmic consequences of breaking them, as our most kind Lama Rinpoche previously explained on this forum (here).

With best wishes,

Khyenrab

Tashi delek,

I think so, yes, anger will break it.

.....You repair the Bodhisattva vows by taking them again or renew them with a ceremony infront of your Lama.

Do you just "think" that it is like that or do you know it for 100% sure....?

Because if this is so, that with anger you would break the root bodhisattva vow, it would mean that quite frequently or for some people "almost every day", we have to rush to our lama for officially renewing them, having there also some witnesses and if we can`t find a Lama we have to do it in front of a Buddhastatue.

I have here a special text for the ceremony of retaking the Bodhisattva vow.

I wonder if the the first part of ngöndro would also qualify for retaking the vow as there is somewhat a similarity to that text .

With kind regards

Csillag

I am quite certain. Not 100 %, but 95%.

Did you read or hear somewhere that with a singe instant of anger one can break ones vow "Never to abandon Bodhicitta "?

You know why I am asking here is because of the branch vow within the boddhisattva vow concering patience; it says:

(4) Dwelling on anger

Once we become angry in any situation, we act contrary to our development of patient tolerance if we dwell on it, holding a grudge, without applying opponent forces to counter it. If we apply these forces, such as meditating on love for the objects of our annoyance, but are unsuccessful, we are not at fault. Because we are at least trying, we do not weaken our cultivation of patience.

So reading this I became sceptical, I mean for what the branch vow concerning anger if you can break your root bodhisattva vow with a single instance of anger.....that makes no sence.

With kind regards

Csillag

Tashi Delek,

Did you read or hear somewhere that with a singe instant of anger one can break ones vow "Never to abandon Bodhicitta "?

Not a single instant of anger, but getting angry at somebody, and thereby definitely exluding him/her from your compassionate attitude. To abandon one sentient being in such manner would mean to break the vow. A member of honourable Sangha should confirm this.

I do remember our most kind Lama Rinpoche say that it is quite possible that we take Bodhisattva vows one day and break them the next! :( But then again, my memory is not perfect...

With best wishes,

Khyenrab

"18th vow: Giving up bodhichitta.

If you give up your aspiration to attain enlightenment, or your determination to benefit all living beings, or any single living being for that matter, you will incur this downfall. Having taken a vow to benefit all living beings, to give up this purpose is to abandon them and doing so cheats all living beings. You destroy the very basis of your Mahayana practice."

From here.

Best regards

Tashi delek,

Not a single instant of getting angry at somebody, and thereby definitely exluding him/her from your compassionate attitude.

- But I could get angry at somebody while still having the attitude: "But when you will need my help I will be there for you " it could even happen that after I got angry I will sit down and practice for that person specially who annoyed me, or was treating me unfair.......

To abandon one sentient being in such manner would mean to break the vow.

I`ve found the following to the vow "Never to abondon Bodhicitta ", ( see below ) and that is actually the same you`ve mentioned here.

But I think to know it really how is it with anger and Bodhicitta, that would be very important, because I remember that I heared something with Bodhicitta in connection to anger. And it is hard for me to believe that with anger I would break my Bodhicitta, but I can imagine, that anger can lead to loosing ones Bodhicitta.......

To give up Bodhicitta means to give up the wish wanting to reach Buddhahood fort he benefit of all sentient being and giving up the wish wanting to work for the benefit of all sentient being. Actually with such an attitude one is about to follow the Hinayana motivation.

Just the mere thought of wanting to give up the welfare of one single sentient being is enough to loose Bodhicitta.

As soon as we turn away inwardly from a person who was treating us unfair, and even if this unfairness is a long time ago, and we`ve already calmed down, but if we keep against this person thought like:

“ I will and want to help all sentient beings, but I will for sure not help this person, he is such a bad person, that he doesn`t deserve my help”

or

“If he needs one day help, I will not be there for him; he can forget about me.”

or

“ If I would have the chance to prevent him from harm, I wouldn`t do so “

.....if we think like this, have such an attitude, this would mean we are excluding a sentient being, which means that the vow is broken

Also to have doubts about ones own ability of being able to hold the Bodhisattva vow, constitues a root downfall, for example as one thinks:

Oh it seems to be too difficult. I just cannot work for all beings benefit. It is better to give up and to try something else”.......

This is a discouraged mental attitude which doesn`t go along /fits with the Bodhisattva vow`s spirit

Bodhicitta is lost the moment we exclude one sentient. If we do not apply the antidote within 2h we are loosing our Bodhisattva vow.

With kind regards

Csillag