Dharmaling Forums
Sign in to follow this  
farman

for inspiration

I have difficulty with a daily practice and would like some help! I am trying to do a little research on what is possible as far as practice goes.......the idea being not to imitate, but to say to myself, if they did all that, the least you can do is such and such. Does this make sense?

What i guess I'm asking for are practice achievements. I know that H.E. Kalu Rinpoche was said to have completed three repetitions of 100 million mantra recitations or something similiar to this. I heard once where two monks walked 1000 or so miles, doing prostrations every third step..How long did Milerapa stay in a cave? What is the longest period today of isolated retreats. Things like this interest me. If you know of anything, please post it!

Tashi Delek dear farman and others!

[i have difficulty with a daily practice ]

... me tooo :( !

If I understood you correctly, you need a roll model or/and some material/practical examples of accomplishments. Did I get it? I can easily find myself projecting on you/others. :lol:

Maybe you can follow this link (http://www.fpmt.org/teachers/konchog/kyabje.asp). I found it very inspiring.

I have a luck being close to qualified teacher, but unfortunately my wandering mind often choose his own way like we are not “one-man band”. There are moments when I experiencing the absurdity of my wick aspiration/efforts in comparison with the efforts and devotion of great people/monks, nuns and great masters. Well, I think it is not important how many prostrations, offerings, etc. one did, but ... :!: Anyhow, we all know those numbers of 100.000 which are highly recommended. Does anyone know why? I guess, to put our practice in a frame not to make us hopeless!? I will appreciate the answer where from comes this numbers?

With best wishes,

tatjana

dearest tatjana and others,

1st, thank you so much for your link and response. I can't answer your question about why there is a set number of 100,000. I feel it has to do with giving a certain chunk of one's life to practice and also the fact that if you do that many, maybe one will be done correctly!

I also thought about my original question and how some might view it as inappropriate and once I thought about it, I could see why. We come into practice in the Vajra vehicle so as to be of help to others. Other motivations could be seen as self-centered. But I feel that this isn't a true picture of the inspiration I was looking for.

We should, I feel, have at our heart of hearts, the wish to be of benefit to others. This desire or wish doesn't preclude on from also engaging in practice to see what is humanly possible or to set a personal practice goal. I can imagine that those two monks that walked so far and did all of those prostrations obtained alot of merit-which can be given away to others-as well as spiritual and even physical benefits. Not only that, but other onlookers who witnessed their practice must have obtained an enormous internal benefit as well. So, after some consideration, the original question still stands! Please feel free to argue otherwise!

Lama Je Tsongkhapa completed 3,500,000 full-lenght prostrations and left an imprint of his body on the floor of the temple.

What an example! !:!

Best regards

Dear farman,

I've presumed you search for an inspiration, yes! But is it possible you want particular type of inspiration which is within your mind only. From my point of view it is much better when you find yourself without inspiration to pay respect and admiration to all masters and gurus who already did what have to be done in order to benefit us. I mean with this their emanations/reincarnations which were possible only due to their kindness and true wish to help all sentient beings. That’s way I send you those link.

In general I think the unique inspiration you can get thru guru devotion. I have to admit you help me a lot to clarify my own longings for finding a proper inspiration - outside :wink:

Any further wish for arguing :D ?

tatjana

Dear tatjana, Khyenrab and Others,

I managed to begin a small Samaya today. An x-girlfriend had a philosophy about beginning new things. Hers was to start out really small, but continual. If set-ups are your goal, vow to do 5 per day. She said that once you were down on the floor, you would probably not mind doing even more than 5, but 5 was all that was required for now. So each practice day wasn't dreaded and tended to grow naturally over time. I started small, so hopefully we will see!

If anyone else would like to post, please feel free to do so. And tatjana, I don't really like arguing!

Dear farman,

Maybe, I miss the point, but it could be we use different terms. I understand Samaya rather as atittude in guru disciple relationshep. :?:

With best wishes,

tatjana

Dear tatjana,

You are probably rightabout the term samaya. I wasa using it to mean a committment to undergo practice with one's Guru. I'm probably not using it in the correct sense. Anyway, I meant to say that I had a personal (small) agreement with my Guru to practice!

thanks for responding,

with blessings,

farman