Dharmaling Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Csillag

Not everything is karma !?

Tashi delek

Some time ago, I already started this topic, but I did not really got an reply to my question. So I thought I am trying again.

I was reading the following lines, and to these lines I have some questions

Q. I thought that everything that happened was caused by Karma, so how is it some things aren't caused by Karma?

Mingyur Rinpoche:. Rinpoche says not everything is, it’s about half and half actually, half of it is your previous Karma and then the other half will be the obstacles in this lifetime. Obstacle, so when they say in Tibetan barche its like something is supposed to happen but then the obstacle cuts through that so that the arising of the obstacle so instead of something happening smoothly the obstacle comes and cuts through that smoothness, so that’s the obstacle.

Half of it will be the karma from before and half of it will be the obstacles arising in your present life. If one is practising the mind training, the Bodhicitta and one prays to the Three Jewels, then these obstacles can be pacified. If it is due to one's previous Karma then one can’t immediately purify it and remove it. The main point is that through thinking of the emptiness and thinking that one is going to practice in a very strong way then one can purify. If one just prays one cannot purify the Karma. You have to practice too.

Q. Isn't it due to previous karma that we get obstacles or not? Why do some people seem not to have them?

Mingyur Rinpoche: The majority of things are the Karma but then the obstacles are caused by the different conditions that one meets in one's life so then some people have them some people don’t have so much of them but the majority of things are the Karma.

So then if one has this negative Karma from before if one continually supplicates to the Three Jewels and practices then one can purify that. If after supplicating and practising is not able to pacify the suffering associated with the arising of the obstacle then that is due to the Karma and one accepts that, that’s the way to pacify it.

Trangu Rinpoche:"........Everything is not karma. There are 2 things, your previous karma and immediate circumstances.Things like physical suffering, whether you have wealth or are impoverished, depend upon your previous karma.Other things like sometimes your state of mind is more dependent upon circumstances than upon karma. For instance, if you have good dharma friends with you, then it might be that your mind is in a good place for practicing and you are quite happy most of the time., whereas when you are around people who are not good for you, then your state of mind will not be good either, your anger will increasei.e. you will be quick to anger.That is called circumstance.

Inner obstacles do not come from previous karma. What comes from previous karma are such things as physical suffering, poverty, things like that. Inner obstacles, which are various bad conceptual thoughts, come from previous bad habbits, bad thinking habbits. So to do confession and things like that will not purify inner obstacles. What purifies inner obstacles is for instance contemplation on the 4 thoughts which turn the mind , because it is habitual thinking., a very, very old habit, these inner obstacles. So gradually , as one does the 4 contemplations, thinking about impermanence and also other things, such as the qualities of the buddhas, will gradually change the bad habits of mind, that will clarify the inner obstacles........."

Why do circumstances have nothing to do with karma?

I mean it could be ones bad karma that one has most of the time bad circumstances.....

Until now I believed, that according to that what happenes within me consciously, subconsciously I will meet the suitable circumstances, like I am meeting my reflection in the mirror. I was reading the above explanations more than one time why not everything happenes because of karma, but I am not convinced.

Also for meeting many obstacle there must be a reason, there must be a reason why someone is meeting more obstacles than others. There must be a cause. And that the obstacle comes, that is the result. So why is it then not karma ?

I do not really understand it. Can someone please help me to understand it ?

With kind regards

Csillag

Tashi Delek, Csillag.

Maybe "the obstacles" in the texts mean "the triggers". They play role in the 4. phase of karma in which re-presentation of karma happen i.e. effects of the karma become apparent as a result of a trigger experience. Re-presentation of karma can happen also simply through the passage of time. Also, it would be misunderstanding to mix the triggers for the causes. The triggers bring pre-existing susceptibility to different mental and physical phenomena to the surface.

Best regards,

Simona

Tashi Delek,

Mingyur Rinpoche: The majority of things are the Karma but then the obstacles are caused by the different conditions that one meets in one's life so then some people have them some people don’t have so much of them but the majority of things are the Karma.

[...]

Trangu Rinpoche:"........Everything is not karma. There are 2 things, your previous karma and immediate circumstances.

I guess it is a matter of interpretation and deeper understanding of what "karma" means.

I must admit the above quoted lines can be confusing. It's because there seems to be a distinction between what come from past karmic seeds and immediate production of the mind.

I thing the above statements are to emphasize that we can't take karma as responsible for all. Surely, most things are produced by previous accumulated karmas. But we are still responsible for what is being created within our mind, basis for what we are experiencing.

We have a certain amount of karma accumulated from the past. But those karmic seeds do need what sometime we also call "conditions". These conditions are actually our mental states!

Some thoughts are results from past karma; some are immediate production of our mental factors.

The firsts have to be wisely ignored, and not focused on; as they can only distract us, and eventually badly influence us. If ignored, they produce no consequence, as they are already consequences themselves.

The second ones do "activate" previously accumulated karma. They are actual karma ie. "action". They do not come from the past, but act as basis for previous karma to manifest soon or later.

When it is writen "half from karma, half from immediate circumstance", we could say that in fact it is ALL karma, but some karmic imprints/seeds from the past and actual production of our mind (circumstances).

It is often difficult to change the karmic seeds; yet, we can work directly on what is produced right now, in our mind. We can pacify our thoughts, and this reflect as pacifying also some karmic results from the past.

I hope it's a bit more clear.

All the best, Gelong T. Shenphen

Tashi Delek.

Thank you for the explanation, Ven. Lama Shenphen Rinpoche! It helps a lot.

We can pacify our thoughts, and this reflect as pacifying also some karmic results from the past.

In an attempt to apply this knowledge to the every day life I cannot overlook the nice :)) Slovene saying "The wiser desists sooner."

Best regards,

Simona

Tashi delek dear Lama Shenphen Rinpoche

Thank you very much for your explanation, I get now an better understanding !

But still I have some remaining questions to karma:

Some thoughts are results from past karma; some are immediate production of our mental factors.

The firsts have to be wisely ignored, and not focused on; as they can only distract us, and eventually badly influence us. If ignored, they produce no consequence, as they are already consequences themselves.

Is there a way/possibility to make an distinction between thoughts which are result of past karma and between thoughts which are result of mental factors ?

The second ones do "activate" previously accumulated karma. They are actual karma ie. "action". They do not come from the past, but act as basis for previous karma to manifest soon or later.

- How can the second ones activate previously accumulated karma ? Could you please give an example for this ?

Concering karma the following is little bit unclear to me:

On a teaching on karma one Rinpoche teached, that there is karmic seed with different potientiality, for example:

A karmic seed which is of 100% will have such an power that you can do whatever you want, you will still experience its consequense.

For example the story with the monc who tried to kill a little girl which was predicted as his wife, so he tried to kill her in order that the prediction will not come true. Then thinking that he was killing her he went meditating for his whole life into a cave.....but at the end he could not escape the prediction. ( I don`t know if you know the story )

Then if a karmic seed is of 50% we have a chance in this life to change there something.

Concerning the 100% potentional seed, what about the power of purifying practices ?

With kind regards

Csillag