Dharmaling Forums
Sign in to follow this  
tatjana

Precious men's body?

Tashi Delek!

I have a question regarding three principle stages of the path/scopes in Lam Rim. Is it more reasonable for one with average motivation and in very women’s body to set up her motivation within medium scope and pray to attain precious men’s body in next life? Please, I’m not implying any gender discussion. :|

With best wishes,

tatjana

since I am not an expert for medium scope :(, I would work on attaining limitless motivation to attain enlightement in this life. For me this is the only thing I am sure it is safe.

Dear Tatjana,

Dharma practitioners can have three objectives:

1. the attainment of a higher re-birth in future lives by avoiding the ten non-virtuous actions and cultivation of the ten virtuous actions (the initial scope)

2. the attainment of liberation from cyclic existence; by praticing the Three Higher Trainings (morality (ethics), meditation (concentration) and insight (wisdom)) (the middling scope)

3. the attainment of full Enlightenment by practicing the Six Perfections with the enlightened attitude of Bodhicitta (great or highest scope)

If I remember correctly the next re-birth of a woman who practices the recitation of Buddha Chenrezig mantra will be that of a man, it is one of the (side)effects of this most precious mantra.

My understanding is that our motivation should be Bodhicitta, loving-kindness, to start with, although we can't really progress on the Bodhisattva Path without first cultivating the ten virtuous actions and training in the Three Higher Trainings.

But still, reminding ourselves that each and every being has been our caring mother many times and therefore extremely precious (more precious than the wishfulfilling gem) should be a part of our daily contemplation and meditation - as the basis of our firm intention to help them the best we can. :)

With best wishes,

Khyenrab

Dear Khyenrab,

Yo made me thinking about correct motivation. In the liberation in the palm of your hand I found; Atisha said:

Ask me what the result are of thinking only about this life and I wil tell you: they are only the results of this life. Ask me what will happen in your next lives and I will tell you: you will be in hell or be a hungry ghost or an animal.

So, If I understand, we need to adobt right motives for our practice weather is it in a frame of midium or great scope.But you said we should start with bodhicitta. While only by development of bodhicitta we can transformd our mind, correct?. So, to strive for men's body might not be the right motivation, I guess. It is said in PR's book the mind is the one who sets our motivation, not the mouth. By recating Chenrezig mantra one's mind" can be transformed by suffusing it with the mening of the mantra. Did you mean this?

I have to admitt, I never heard before about this "side" effect. 8O I heard one can get new teeth if he/she recate mantra correct and long enough. Hopeful in baby boy's mounth :D

Thank you Khyenrab.

With best wishes,

tatjana

Dear Tatjana,

But you said we should start with bodhicitta. While only by development of bodhicitta we can transformd our mind, correct?

If we want to become a Buddha for the benefit of all mother sentient beings, the only type of mind we should try to acquire is Bodhicitta, the Awakening mind. Even if we don't succeed in completely realizing it, the merit of striving towards it is immeasurable:

A well-intentioned person who thinks, "I shall eliminate the headaches of sentient beings," bears immeasurable merit.

What then of a person who desires to remove the incomparable pain of every single being and endow them with immeasurable good qualities?

- Arya Shantideva in Bodhisattvacharyavatara

So, to strive for men's body might not be the right motivation, I guess.

No. :)

It is said in PR's book the mind is the one who sets our motivation, not the mouth. By recating Chenrezig mantra one's mind" can be transformed by suffusing it with the mening of the mantra. Did you mean this?

Yes, when we recite mantras and visualize the Deity, our mind should first be peaceful and calm. My feeling is that it is not good to jump to recitations, but to do some breathing and relaxation meditation first, then mental quietness meditation (Shine), and then the recitation. As we practice during the Weekly practices.

I have to admitt, I never heard before about this "side" effect.

What we must keep in mind is that Lord Chenrezig's mantra has one major effect and purpose - to develop Bodhicitta in our mind, and this is most important. Everything else is just an extra bonus. It is said that the benefits of reciting the Chenrezig mantra are limitless, like the limitless sky. :) Please see here.

With best wishes,

Khyenrab

Dear Tatjana,

Please use that particular emoticon in connection with the Triple Gem only... :oops: :oops:

Otherwise, you're more than welcome. :)

Best regards

Dear Khyenrab,

To make one's bow is not the matter of one's posture, but rather what his/her advice, explanation trigger in one's consciousness. But in general I agree with you. No, need for embarrassment.

Regards,

tatjana

Dear Khyenrab and others,

So, consciouness has no gender and only within the mind we set up our motivation for development of bodhicitta. I’m working my way up and I’m traying to switch myself to the subject of bohicitta.The question whic still remain is about the ripening effect of the woman’s karma.So is it there some chain of carmic causes which proceeds the specific effect to be ripening within women’s/men’s body or is it only about one unpredictable moment in which the consciouness drops in one or another form/gender? I know there are mentioned different emotions which predicted the gender. This sounds me fatalistic. Any way out?

Thank you,

tatjana

Dear Tatjana,

To make one's bow is not the matter of one's posture, but rather what his/her advice, explanation trigger in one's consciousness.

This is a bow {|:) and this is a prostration !:!

So, consciouness has no gender and only within the mind we set up our motivation for development of bodhicitta.

Yes, that's all we need ;-F

o is it there some chain of carmic causes which proceeds the specific effect to be ripening within women’s/men’s body or is it only about one unpredictable moment in which the consciouness drops in one or another form/gender?

Of course I wouldn't know, but I think it is quite useless to consider this. How could we "fool" karma and ensure the gender of our next re-birth, if we can't even control our thoughts and actions right here right now??

All we need to do to ensure better conditions for spiritual practice and harmonius relationships with others in the future is our Dharma practice today.

Any way out?

Just having a male body is not particularly liberating, trust me. ;) But according to all the Holy Lamas the practice of Renunciation, Bodhicitta and Wisdom of Emptiness is.

Here is The Three Principal Aspects of the Path by the great Lama Je Tsongkhapa. I really like short Lamrim Texts, because the whole Path is explained in simple words, they are a very good reminder.

With best wishes,

Khyenrab