Dharmaling Forums
Sign in to follow this  
farman

a poem

I used to attend yoga classes taught by a very highly realized being.He never would speak much about the Dharma or his beliefs. He followed the teaching of ...To Each His Own...and left it at that. One time I do remember reading a poem he had placed on the wall. It went something like this:

"I honor the place in you filled with light.

I honor the place in you filled with peace and love.

I honor the place in you where if you are in that place in you

and I am in that place in me

there is only one of us."

Would this be accurate according to the Middle Way school of Tibetan Buddhism? Or is this implying a universal soul principle?

Tashi Delek, farman.

From my taste I would say this poem is more Zen than Tibetan Buddhism like. It is written in one verse, while for the Tibetan Buddhism poems usually it is not the case. Transcending duality by the interconnectedness between “you†and “me†I find it Zen like. And the word “honor†is usually used in Japanese culture. While the Tibetan Buddhism would might use the word “prostrate†instead.

Best regards,

Simona

Tashi Delek,

It's a nice poem, thanks for sharing Farman.

Because in Nirvana there is no "you" or "me", individuality being the product of ignorance, this could be a good description of an enlightened mind, couldn't it? References are made to light, peace and love, some of the characteristics of the enlightened mind according to Tibetan Buddhism, if I am not mistaken. But, there is this "there is only one of us", which implies like you said a universal entity beyond dualism. Yet, Nirvana is Emptiness, that is, it is empty from everything that our consciousness seizes at the present time. Hence, because "there is only one of us" implies at least one thing, not emptiness, I am tempted to say that the view is wrong according to the Middle Way school. But I could be wrong!

Hello,

i know i understand things the way i wish to understand them ;-)

so, after the questions and answers session (in Godesic, Slovenia ;-) sorry ), where a metaphore of an ocean and drops in it came out, i can also understand it as that...many counsciousnesses with the same quality...

just my limited ego coloured interpretation ;-) ...i like poetry...i couldn't resist :-)

all the veyr best,

pamo

Tashi Delek, Frederic.

Yet, Nirvana is Emptiness, that is, it is empty from everything that our consciousness seizes at the present time. Hence, because "there is only one of us" implies at least one thing, not emptiness

I am not sure if I understand the way you think... :roll:

Do you want to say that Emptiness requires the non-existance of all phenomena? If there is at least one thing it is not Emptiness? Doesn`t Emptiness mean the quality of being empty of inherent existence, which does not mean that something does not exist at all? Things do exist, but they do not exist inherently because they exist interdependently.

"There is only one of us" could be understood as Buddha nature, the inherent harmony of self and the other, in which there is no idea of self and the other and in this state of infinite freedom we find the persons and the things just as they are.

Best regards,

Simona

Tashi Delek,

No, that's of course not what I meant to say actually. Phenomena exist, since they can be perceived by our consciousness. Wether they be material, physical or mental phenomena, our consciousness is able to seize them all. If they didn't exist, how could our consciousness perceive them.

But all these phenomena that our consciousness seizes, are already not exactly what they truly are anymore. Why? Rightly so because we perceive them :lol: It's like the snake biting its own tail... But it is indeed because our consciouness seizes these phenomena, that emptiness is not nothingness! Thus proving that those who consider buddhists teachings on emptiness to be nihilistic, are wrong.

I believe you didn't understand what I meant, because I used in my analysis the definition of emptiness from Theravada school, basically saying that once phenomena are known by consciousness for what they truly are, they simply cease to appear, allowing it to realize the state of "non-suffering", Nirvana or Nibbana. A bit like when Neo sends ripples through space in the end of the movie "TheMatrix", when he has realized what the Matrix truly is :lol: Of course this state is the same for all sentient beings who are able to realize it, but because it is said that consciousness itself has the possibility to disappear in it once it has been realized, then what is this state of non-suffering if not the total absence, the total end of every concepts or beliefs.

When you say:"the inherent harmony of self and the other, in which there is no idea of self and the other and in this state of infinite freedom we find the persons and the things just as they are. ", althought that's a marvelous definition, it implies a lot of concepts :wink: .

But the best we can do is realize this state as quickly as possible, so then we will know for sure, like the Buddha has, as well as countless realized beings before and after him.

Thank you.

Frederic

Tashi Delek, Frederic. :D

Phenomena exist, since they can be perceived by our consciousness.

Mhm...what about the hallucinations and auto-suggestions? Don`t know, just asking... :roll:

the total absence, the total end of every concepts or beliefs.

"A monk was asked to discard everything. "But I have nothing", he exclaimed. "Discard that too!" ordered his master. "

...my favorite...<|:)

When you say:"the inherent harmony of self and the other, in which there is no idea of self and the other and in this state of infinite freedom we find the persons and the things just as they are. ", althought that's a marvelous definition, it implies a lot of concepts :wink: .

Unless we actually abide in this state, talk about it remains only talk about the concepts, ungrounded in the practice. :v

Best regards,

Simona

Tashi Delek Simona :) ,

Hallucinations and auto-suggestions: mental phenomena, right? :wink:

"A monk was asked to discard everything. "But I have nothing", he exclaimed. "Discard that too!" ordered his master. "

...my favorite... <|:):))

Unless we actually abide in this state, talk about it remains only talk about the concepts, ungrounded in the practice. :v {-|-}

Cheerio :wink:

Frederic