Dharmaling Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Simona

Prayer flags

Tashi Delek,

I`m curious what is the reason that prayer flags shall not be hung on some specific days. Does this mean only for outer places or inner (room, office,...) also?

Best regards,

Simona

Tashi Delek.

I did a little research on web and I found out that “Some people have written to ask if they need to take down prayer flags on inauspicious days. The answer: certainly not; once they are up it`s okay to keep them until they disintegrate or until they are replaced with new flags.†Sets of five color flags should be put in the order from left to right or from bottom to top: yellow (earth), green (water), red (fire), white (cloud), blue (sky). It is good also to hang the prayer flags inside of a bulidings to increase the spiritual atmosphere.

Certain days are inauspicious for raising new prayer flags. On certain days energy of the elemental spirit “baden senpo†is active and raising flags can have a negative effect. I suppose that this spirit is a sentient being, which resides in the sky. By raising the flags up we suddenly disturb its “homeâ€. But how can prayer flags bring any harm to any sentient being, be it visible or invisible to us?

Best regards,

Simona

ok, I have found it:

INAUSPICIOUS or UNFAVOURABLE DAYS

Though Monday is a good day to hang flags and Friday is very good, some Inauspicious Days for Hanging Prayer Flags are:

10th and 22nd of the First, Fifth and Ninth months

7th and 19th of the Second, Sixth and Tenth months

4th and 16th of the Third, Seventh and Eleventh months

1st and 13th of the Fourth, Eighth and Twelfth months.

For end of Wood Bird Year 2132 and beginning of Fire Dog Year 2133, unlucky days for hanging new flags as per above calendar : 2006 - January 1, 12, 24; February 7

I have to admit I do not understand the counting precisely though. :?

Tashi Delek,

I was wondering - which dates are the ones that we take off the flags this year? In this link http://www.fpmt.org/resources/dates_explain.asp there are some dates that can be found, however I don't really understand which days are in Tibetan month (or are they in ours?).

29. NO PRAYER FLAGS - NPF

According to Rinpoche, by hanging prayer flags including long prayer flags and banners) on the wrong dates, “you will continuously receive obstacles.â€

à¢-¢ Days 10, 22 of Months 1, 5, 9

à¢-¢ Days 7, 19 of Months 2, 6, 10

à¢-¢ Days 4, 16, 28 of Months 3, 7, 11

à¢-¢ Days 1, 13, 25 of Months 4, 8, 12

How do I know which day it is in our callendar?

Best regards,

Namgyel

I was wondering - which dates are the ones that we take off the flags this year? In this link http://www.fpmt.org/resources/dates_explain.asp there are some dates that can be found, however I don't really understand which days are in Tibetan month (or are they in ours?).

This month, the 9th and 20th are "No prayer flags" days. In February, the 1st, 16th and 28th.

This means it isn't good to hang out prayer flags on these days. If you do, you may upset certain spirits which will cause obstacles and misfortunes (instead of the good fortune which is supposed to be brought by the hanging of prayer flags).

But if you already have prayer flags hanging, you certainly don't need to take them off.

As regarding the question how to know which Western date the specific day in the Tibetan month: for example this year, the 7th of February 2008, Losar, is the 1st day of the 1st Tibetan month. Generally, the first day of each Tibetan month is the day after New Moon. The last day of each month is the day of the next New Moon. Inbetween are 30 days. But as the lunar month is in fact 29,5 days long, in the Tibetan calendar sometimes a day is missing and sometimes one is doubled to adjust and thus form a "consistent" flow of months (which may not be so very "consistent" to the Western mind ;)).

There are certain rules about these doubled and missing days, and about one additional months which is inserted once in a certain number of years to keep the counting correct.

But probably it's enough for our needs to simply have a look at this calendar: http://www.fpmt.org/resources/dates.asp.

Here all the days when it isn't good to hang prayer flags are marked with NFP. Then there are days which are especially good to hang prayer flags, and those are marked with PF or PPF. And you have all the Western and Tibetan dates written on it as well. :)

All the best.