Dharmaling Forums
Sign in to follow this  
mavrica

reciting mantras in your car

Tashi Delek.

I wonder what could be the consequences of reciting mantras while driving a car. It is clear that a person cannot do both things equally attentive, that is driving carefully and reciting mantra mindfully :roll:

So is it then better to just concentrate on one thing (which would be, of course, driving your car :lol:) and make some kind of a meditation out of that act; or is it just as fine to recite mantras with a kind heart (while driving), even though that would mean you cannot do proper visualisations at the same time.

Would you share your opinions on that?

All the best.

Tashi Delek,

I recite mantras in the car when alone. :) I guess what is important is that you do it with a relatively peaceful mind, and you need a good intention to do it. And still keep good attentiveness on what is happening on the road. :D

"Generally, according to my experience, in my home Solo-Khumbu in the Himalayas in Nepal, there are people who live their life chanting Om Mani Padme Hum and have no idea of the three principles of the path, not even the words. They can't read or even know the alphabet, but have great devotion to compassion and bodhicitta and live their lives reciting Om Mani Padme Hum. Such people are warm-hearted, very kind, very compassionate. This is a proof from my experience that it has effect of transforming the mind into a good heart and compassion." - Kyabje Zopa Rinpoche

With best wishes,

Khyenrab

I didn't give a proper answer actually. You asked about the visualisations. :) I don't visualize the different Buddhas in the car, i watch the road. ;) Instead, i try to think about the meaning of the mantra i am reciting :)

Best regards,

Khyenrab

I saw this post earlier this morning and have been thinking on and off about it all day long. To make an even more 'Zen' moment, I was working outside all day doing light to moderate physical labor.that was a nice touch of spring! :D

Khyenrab, your answer was my 1st gut 'Tibetan'instinct. The mantra precedes the rest of one's life. But how is that correct?

If that is so, and the mantra takes up one's whole life, what is it that we hope for the mantra to do for us? Bring us liberation? What do we do if we obtain liberation from the mantra? Continue to recite it? When would we lay it down and rest in the moment?

I don't mean to be a smartass....I have thought about this all day off and on. At times I would test the moment.......... and just get into reaching for a branch to pick up or looking to see what plants were greening out 1st...and the moment had all kinds of life in it...once I opened my eyes to see it. The moment is what makes poetry real. Those Zen haiku's can be stark in their directness and very real.

Maybe being fully in the moment should be enough without adding even more practices to it. Wash the dishes when you wash dishes and pray and meditate when you pray and meditate. I don't know, but I hope others will share their views.

Guest lodreu

Tashi Delek,

Our usual problem is to do not be able to concentrate fully on one thing at the time. It makes it even more incertain to be able to concentrate on two thing which are taking full space. Specially in such a dangerous and speedy environement where we need to analyze a lot of informations and answer quicly to some of them, focus on some situations which can be dangerous, etc...

At the same time, we know that we usually get distracted, so reciting some mantras can help us to keep our attention on something meaningful and virtuous. That way we will be able to catch our attention where it is, and bring it back on the main object of attention, our driving :-).

In the mean time this distraction would have been directed toward a virtuous distraction, helping us to pacify our mind and generate a positive energy. We just have to accept to do not be able to perform all visualisations, and keep it a background recitation.

Best regards,

Lodreu

Tashi Delek,

Here are the infinite benefits of the mani mantra, as explained by Kyabje Zopa Rinpoche:

http://www.dharmaling.org/content/view/25/32/lang,en/

Reciting mantras in the car, the elevator, when standing in line, waiting for something..etc, doesn't mean we should forget about some morning and some evening meditation, to analyze the day and correct our negative attitude or improve our positive one. As most kind Lama Shenphen Rinpoche has explained, meditation is a state of mind. It doesn't have to be limited to a certain time and space, since wherever we go, our mind will follow. :)

About driving the car, here is another perfect advice from Kyabje Zopa Rinpoche:

"You can also walk with meditation on impermanence and death. With every step you take, think how your life is running out, getting shorter and shorter. The faster you walk, the more aware of how quickly your life is finishing you become. Each step is bringing you closer to death and, if you fail to purify your negative karma, to the immeasurable suffering of the lower realms. (Similarly, when you’re driving your car, feel like a condemned person being led to the gallows, each moment bringing you closer to your execution.)

This is how to practice the mindfulness of life finishing quickly, bringing you ever closer to death and the lower realms. This meditation helps you deal with whatever problems you are facing right now—relationship problems, emotional problems, all your problems. Reflecting on impermanence and death puts an immediate end to desire, jealousy and anger. It quickly brings incredible peace to your mind and makes you more determined than ever to practice Dharma and not to waste your life. It encourages and inspires you to make everything you do a Dharma action. It is a very powerful meditation."

From "How to make your life meaningful". :)

Best regards,

Khyenrab

Tashi Delek,

I find your opinions very useful for further thinking about the subject.

In the mean time this distraction would have been directed toward a virtuous distraction, helping us to pacify our mind and generate a positive energy.

I noticed this too. Reciting mantras, especially the Mani mantra, makes me more receptive and peaceful. I don't get upset by some unpleasant situations any more (when meeting a very nervous driver on the road, for example).

Maybe being fully in the moment should be enough without adding even more practices to it. Wash the dishes when you wash dishes and pray and meditate when you pray and meditate.

That was one of my second thoughts also. But now I see it as another way of putting the same question as the quote above. In both ways - the result is "being present" in the moment. Just that one goes around the corner :wink:

Similarly, when you're driving your car, feel like a condemned person being led to the gallows, each moment bringing you closer to your execution.

Sounds like a very powerful practice. Surely slows down the driving, doesn't it? :lol: I guess I will have to leave my house earlier if I want to get to work on time ...

All the best.

Thanks Mavrica, Khyenrab and Lodreu,

This post represents a personal turning point in my relationship with the present moment.

I feel that it is up to each of us to practice as much as we can whenever and wherever we can. If plain mindfulness does it for you....helps you strengthen jhanic powers of the mind then so be it. It is a beneficial practice for you. If chanting Chenrezig's Six Syllable Mantra is opening your heart....then chant it as often as you can. It is up to each of us to try and find ways to make it real and beneficial for ourselves.

But, I will say this....we are tantric practitioners as that comes with a great deal of responsibility. We are to see ourselves and our world as Buddhas living in a Divine Abode. The Divine Abodes thing sometimes gets swept under the rug because, I feel, no one knows where to start actualizing that practice.

If we are truly living on a mandala, and I really do think we are, then the whole emptiness that we see is a glorious one. One that needs to be looked at with wonderment-filled attention. I feel that the Zen Buddhist that say living in a state of "wow....look at that.." is a valid Buddhist practice...and more likely than not ....Tantric....are correct.

dear farman,

The Divine Abodes thing sometimes gets swept under the rug because, I feel, no one knows where to start actualizing that practice.

I feel that the Zen Buddhist that say living in a state of "wow....look at that.." is a valid Buddhist practice...and more likely than not ....Tantric....are correct.

could you explain a little more what is it that you meant by this? I cannot really understand it :?

all the best.

mavrica,

I can see why the confusion. I didn't really say it very well and that has alot to do with how well I understand it myself. :lol:

There is a tantric technique of viewing one's body and others as deities and one's surroundings as a celestial palace. It sometimes is said that one should refrain from ordinary appearances of yourself as well as your environment.Not alot of instruction is given as to how to do this....that I have came across at least.

I don't know exactly what a celestial palace looks like but I feel that if you are looking at the dew on the tip of a blade of grass with a beautiful, colorful sunrise and say..."wow!" then that might be a case of seeing things in an extraordinary way.

I've heard it said from the Zen school that the feeling of "wow" is a type of enlightenment. I did alot of reading and some practicing in the Zen school and was hoping that everything I learned wasn't useless now that I'm practicing the Vajra school, hoping that in some way they could compliment each other.

I hoped this helped clear up the prior post. :D

Guest Genjen

Tashi Delek, Farman

I feel that the Zen Buddhist that say living in a state of "wow....look at that.." is a valid Buddhist practice...and more likely than not ....Tantric....are correct.[/color]

I would ad a note that to much of "wow" expirience might develope a mind of bewilderment, wich is not quiet the direction towards taming the mind. However i guess its the purpose that maters. At some stage this might be even benefitial to tame the mind. The midle way i guess would be the right way.

All the best

Genjen

Tashi Delek.

I would ad a note that to much of "wow" expirience might develope a mind of bewilderment...
What kind of an experience do you think is "wow" experience within the Zen Buddhism? Could you please give Zen term? Is it kensho? Could you tell more, how could the state of the mind, which is in one moment free of any disturbing emotions cause a mind of bewilderment?

Best regards,

Simona

Guest Genjen

Tashi Delek,

Could you tell more, how could the state of the mind, which is in one moment free of any disturbing emotions cause a mind of bewilderment?

Good question :lol: !

I am not very familiar with Zen Buddhism, neither with its explanations and definitions :roll:

I would like to emphasise that it was just my narow point of view. Each of us knows best for himself i guess.

All the best

Genjen

Tashi Delek.

one more question - does it make any difference if one recites mantras aloud or silently, only in his mind? is the effect any different? ...

Guest lodreu

Tashi Delek,

Reciting mantra aloud might have the effect to help better to purify negativities created by speech. It also helps to "impress" the mind. Now no need to shout for this :D You just need to hear what you are saying. (Although Tibetans have a sligly stronger approach for this, if not shouted it looks like it doesn't really count sometimes :lol: )

Nevertheless, if you are in a place which doesn't allow you to recite mantras aloud, it is also possible to recite them in your head.

best regards,

Lodreu

Guest 22-es

Lodreu wrote for 'recitating mantra in your car'

"Our usual problem is to do not be able to concentrate fully

on one thing at the time. " :what!:

But many people need to do that because hes (this word is

equal with he/she) is a parents with more children or a

teacher with more students or an arya boddhisattva who can

listen to more place in the same time (how I know). :what!:

Best regards,

22-es :roll:

Guest Ani.Chödrön

Tashi Delek,

there are really times when we have to take care of many things (almost) simultaneously, but I would differentiate a Bodhisattva from the rest of us. A Bodhisattva can remain single pointedly concentrated in all of his/her bodies at any moment, while us… at least if I speak for myself, a single pointed concentration lasts a short time, and then the monkey mind takes over the game again. :roll: It’s hard to say that we are in control of our lives if we are not in control of our mind. :|

Some people say that if we do many things at the same time we are more effective. I believe that practical experiences show the opposite result: chaotic mind and chaotic actions often prolong the work, while peaceful mind, stable at single activity at one time, reaches deeper, sees the situation better, finds more creative solutions… brings more happiness in whatever activity and less stress when things do not develop according to plans. ;-F

It is not that easy to be truly aware of the present moment, and i think that what can help is to reduce the number of extra activities which can distract our mind. And to do one thing at a time whenever the situation allows it. It brings some space in our lives. :D

All the best,

chödrön

Guest 22-es

Sorry but your answer like that when I was a parents evening in a school where the children's class teacher said to us :"Now we read a text and try to understand , I know (said the teacher) that we cannot understand it, we haven't got any chance to understand it..." - I tried to say : " Please give us & left us a little faith that we can understand or a few of us can understand that text. :crunch:

Ani Chödrön wrote:  

but I would differentiate a Bodhisattva from the rest of us.

If you try to remain in the single pointed concentrated state when you read my letter than you would have to read that I take a differences. Sorry .

I believe that practical experiences show the opposite result: chaotic mind and chaotic actions often prolong the work,

The fact that , how I see , that if somebody have got more work or task (but not more what hes can got) than hes try to listen , namely , hes is under forcing hesself to listen and keep hes mind fully concentration state and hesself help to hesselp to concentrate. If somebody has got less work ar task hes will be lazy and than hes mind will become monkey-mind, how I feel.

It is not that easy to be truly aware of the present moment, and i think that what can help is to reduce the number of extra activities which can distract our mind. And to do one thing at a time whenever the situation allows it. It brings some space in our lives.

Many times somebody can listen and can concentrate on a fully way but not so long . If hes know that hes comes out from this fully concentrate state than hes can reduce numbers of hers (him/her) activity . And later hes try to do it when hes can do that when hes feel this very good concentration state.

All the best,

22-es :maybe: -()-

Guest Ani.Chödrön

Tashi Delek,

i’m sorry dear 22-es, i surely did not look down to you or your abilities (you might be a Bodhisattva, i don't know), i was just talking about my own limitations, believing that there are many people who share the same kind of experiences as i have – as well as the kind that you have. {|:)

The fact that , how I see , that if somebody have got more work or task (but not more what hes can got) than hes try to listen , namely , hes is under forcing hesself to listen and keep hes mind fully concentration state and hesself help to hesselp to concentrate. If somebody has got less work ar task hes will be lazy and than hes mind will become monkey-mind, how I feel.
I agree, it's good to train mindfulnes in whatever situation and some have greater abilities then the others. :D And i agree that too little work often leads into laziness. :?

But I still wonder about us without a realisation of shine: how much depth or insight can one reach when one is constantly doing many things at a time? How much happiness and peace does it bring? :maybe:

For example, if I want to make an analytical meditation about any topic, my first thoughts about it are quite predictable, they are similar to all the usual thoughts that I have about it – nothing new; but when i remain on the topic, without letting my mind escape somewhere else, I can discover angles that I’ve never noticed before; and longer i manage to persist on the very same topic, more the topic reveals itself as an opened path for practice in everyday life, a path of benefiting others and myself. :v This experience is out of my reach when i just rush from one task to another. Or it happens very rarely, just as a coincidence that i cannot repeat.

There is another good point about such "stillness": putting my mind in a situation where no outer impulse entertains it is the only way that i know (beside asking my Teacher, of course !:! ) to check how stable and peaceful i truly am. l-)

All the best,

chödrön

Guest 22-es
Ani wrote:

But I still wonder about us without a realisation of shine: how much depth or insight can one reach when one is constantly doing many things at a time? How much happiness and peace does it bring? maybe

Thanks your answer but ... I knew many people who was happy with many activity and they never was tired . Are you tired sometimes or not ?

How I kow there are two típe of meditation. One of them is that when we try to keep our mind or counsciousness in a very concentrated state untill we do something. That mean that we need not to sit and meditate, how I know.

Could you be so kind to write something about it.

There is another good point about such "stillness": putting my mind in a situation where no outer impulse entertains it is the only way that i know (beside asking my Teacher, of course Prostra-tion ) to check how stable and peaceful i truly am.

That is very easy to be without any distourbing impulse in an empty room without nothing. BUT ithat is a very good exercise and we can check our stability to be with some children and keep ourself in fully concentrated state , in peace and harmony when they start to fight or cry or harm each other or do some tricky things. Have you ever tried to do that , why I ask , because I wonder for your experience how easy or hard to do it.

I can discover angles that I've never noticed before

What kind of angles was there ? That was 30 degree or more or more than 60 degree?

All the very best,

22-es

Guest Ani.Chödrön

Tashi Delek dear 22-es,

How I kow there are two típe of meditation. One of them is that when we try to keep our mind or counsciousness in a very concentrated state untill we do something. That mean that we need not to sit and meditate, how I know.  

Could you be so kind to write something about it.

A more experienced practitioner would answer you better then me, but I’ll do my best. The two types of meditation are usually called analytical and single-pointed concentration. They both lead to greater awareness in everyday life, they both increase peace and harmony, each from a different point of view. In fact, all the teachings and meditations are meant just to help us to lead a better and happier life. They are meaningful just when they are applied in our everyday life. As you say, we need awareness and concentration in everyday life situations, not just on a meditation cushion. :wink:

In analytical meditation we are trying to gain a deeper understanding of a topic. We can analyse for example a conflictive situation and search a solution to it; or analyse what is the essence of compassion and how to apply it in different situations of everyday life… It helps us to be more effective and to react in a better way to the events that we come across in everyday life.

A single-pointed meditation means gradually pacifying our mind and thus building stability within ourselves, that will become in the long term unshakable regardless to a situation. If practiced regularly, of course. A peaceful mind is a healing mind, benefiting ourselves and others.

That is very easy to be without any distourbing impulse in an empty room without nothing.
My observation is the opposite: i can keep a single-pointed concentration shorter time then a concentration to different activities taking place.
BUT ithat is a very good exercise and we can check our stability to be with some children and keep ourself in fully concentrated state , in peace and harmony when they start to fight or cry or harm each other or do some tricky things. Have you ever tried to do that , why I ask , because I wonder for your experience how easy or hard to do it.
I have just a couple of years of experience in working with a group of children, or a group of adults and a few months with a group of old people – which is very little. I hope that others will share their know-how about the group dynamics. :lol:

With adults, I find the multitasking role quite functional – the concentration remains goal oriented. Such approach is not so holistic, but more technical, and consequently not so fulfilling for me.

With children and old people this not possible – the path is more important then the goal (the attitude is more important then the material or similar results). So here was always a compromise between a task and human needs/limitations; and between concentrating on this or another child and zooming out to see what the others are doing. Such situations pointed out a need for a stable inner peace and wisdom to understand the different needs of different children/old people involved. I find clear rules and explanations, adapted to the age, very helpful.

But what you are talking about reminds me also of another type of a situation, when i’m trying to focus on something and different interruptions occur. I see them as a patience training and a test of my loving-kindness. With some events (like noise outside) i train mostly my concentration, with the others (like a phone call) I train mostly my ability to switch from one situation to another without being distracted.

All the very best, :)

chödrön

Dear all,

the observations by Ani.Chodron are very valuable. I myself have the same problems. Yet, I have experiences with another kind of situation. It is very probable that I haven't analyzed it enough, so if you help me, I will be very glad.

What if - for instance - one has a task of huge concentration on a very complex problem that has to be resolved. (Alas, I am not talking about single pointed meditation.) Let us say that this concentration - with interruptions - lasts for years. In the meanwhile, the concentration starts to weaver, the mind and the body litteraly resist, mind reacts with laziness (or tries to find other distractions because there was no opportunity for it to rest enough) and body grows very tired, lazy as well. This dullness of course can lead to the point that the project is very difficult to carry on and to finish. Not to talk about ego, seing that the relief is not going to come as soon as it would like to, gets all concentrated just on itself - and goodbye boddhicitta!

Of course, the best thing would be to relax. But - what if that is impossible due to the (previous) causes?

Tashi Delek.

Of course, the best thing would be to relax. But - what if that is impossible due to the (previous) causes?
I can tell you from my own experience that I had also a period in my life, it lasted two years and which demaded high concentration and full engagement. It brought me a lot of fulfillment and joy. If I try to compare it with your description of the situation, might I would say that being tired and being dull are two different things. So, being tired, there is still some kind of the satisfaction in a way that it was done what had to be done, but when being dull, there is a feeling that things hadn`t been done as they supposed to be, as they should be. In your case, I would say that you lack the element of fire. From time to time it is good to balance all the elements, but yes, in your case...definitely...fire. Warmth is a relaxation, namely.

Best regards,

Simona

Tashi Delek,

interruptions - lasts for years. In the meanwhile, the concentration starts to weaver, the mind and the body litteraly resist, mind reacts with laziness (or tries to find other distractions because there was no opportunity for it to rest enough) and body grows very tired, lazy as well. This dullness of course can lead to the point that the project is very difficult to carry on and to finish.
Maybe you can try to practice Tonglen, meditation on Compassion, change the motivation...? :) We need loving-kindness to complete the tasks our ego is fed-up with; it makes the mind supple and willing - "it's not for my petty self i am doing this, but for others, others, others".

When you finish this, you'll be free to do more beneficial things for others. That's what i tell myself! ;)

With best wishes,

Khyenrab