Dharmaling Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Khetsun

computer names

Tashi Delek everybody,

at my work I give names to company computers, so to promote budism and Tibet culture I gave names: daka, dakini, pecha, khata, equanimity, medicine, middle, path, karuna, arhat, glimpse, damaru. Names are written on a paper label on each computer.

Today I came to me: one day this computers will be written off and put in trash. Is there any danger or specific way to handle this machines and/or their names without accumulating negative karma?

Just now I am in a situation to write off computer named Brahma (not named by me)? How to do this in proper way?

Khetsun

Tashi Delek,

Just now I am in a situation to write off computer named Brahma (not named by me)? How to do this in proper way?

When it comes to giving it away, what about donating it to a primary school for example, and making one child happy with it? Of course you can dedicate all the good that comes out from this act to the wellbeing of all sentient beings.

If you are worried, who would take the old computers, I think they could give you such information in the nearest social care center or even school.

You could make a "donation list" for another computers which are about to be written off so to make sure they will bring much joy right after they will be "retired" from work. :D I think that would bring a lot of positive energy.

I don't know about "the naming of the computer" though, perhaps you could rename it as you give it away, into the "lay life", if you worry about improper handling of it. :wink:

Here are several things to be expained:

first these computers are not ordinary PCs we are used to and on which we run Windows, but unix based systems which can hardly be used in primary schools for maybe very limited purpose (e.g. web server)

second when these systems are written off, hard disks are removed or destroyed (company security policy), some other compoments may also be removed as spare parts.

Of course there are also oridinary PCs to be be written off, but usually "dinosaures", at the time pentium I or II could be found, which hardly meet today's needs or wants of children in primary school.

I have some experience with such computers giving away, but people think they will get latest Windows, Office, more memory, better processor ...

Regards,

Khetsun

Tashi Delek.

Labelling computers with names is not the usual way of denoting the inventorys, which computers ceratinly are. Usually denoting is done by labells, which are sustained by numbers and line code, which can be read with the help of special code readers. I even doubt that a company is allowed to denote the inventorys with names and that there certainly is some regulation, nevertheless from the accountancy point of the view in order to provide and adjust evidences in the main book, which is the main base of (saldakonti) balance, in which amortization of inventorys is also calculating. And another principle that has to be obeyed is principle of unity of denoting, which certainly cannot be provided by names in the same extent as with numbers. So, when you put some labells with names you can maybe do this by labells which can be re-labelled on new computers or easily removed and deposited, as there is no obligation, which would demand that such un-official labells have to be more or less permanetly labelled on.

Best regards,

Simona

Dear Simona,

naming computers in this case means hostnaming and not inventory denoting :-) (Networking purpose and not bookeeping purpose).

Each computer has static IP address and a name attached to this IP address. Names appear in so called DNS servers (name resolving). For a person to physically find the right computer which among 200 computers in the same room, there are paper labels attached to each one.

Of course, if not before then certailnly when a computer is to be written off, there comes a conection between a hostname and an inventory number.

Regards,

Khestun

Dear Khetsun.

Are you thinking in the way, if the computer is losing its accountancy value the host name of it also is losing its value?

Firstly, the accountancy values are not the only values, by which something can be measured. Usually they are even lower than market values, because of the special methods of evaluation used toward different econimical values in order to create among the other effects also “silent reserves”.

And secondly, the value of the computer, be it a market one or an accountancy one or be it whatever value, does not just get lower, yet it get implicated, i. e. transformed into some other economical values. There are always in general two sides, and the decline of the one side is in the fact a condition for growth of the other side.

The values don`t get lost even if it might seem so.

Best regards,

Simona

Are you thinking in the way, if the computer is losing its accountancy value the host name of it also is losing its value?

No.

My question is simple: when a computer is to be written off, how to deal with its hostname? Its paper label and its records in certain files, lists ...

The subquestion was: are by me given names questionable or. with other words: could in some case bring negativites?

Regards,

Khetsun

As far as i know it is best if used Dharma Texts, Dharma related papers, including papers that have Dharma terms on it, are burnt. They shouldn't be thrown into garbage, mixed with shoes and so on.

At one Teaching most kind Lama Shenphen Rinpoche said that it is perfectly ok if computer files with Dharma content are deleted (no need to first erase the text in the file and then the file itself ;) if i remember correctly)

I am not sure about computers, but if you think about it: it is material that contains some Dharma, and therefore it might be good to erase the names before the computers are thrown away (into garbage). :?

Guest 22-es
My question is simple: when a computer is to be written off, how to deal with its hostname? Its paper label and its records in certain files, lists ...
Maybe we may see the whole problem from the viewpoint of emptiness and the standpoint the equanamity. And we do not disturb our mind with the examine of the differences.

Anything is not need for us(and not only if that is not need) we need to give away to help others if that is really usefull for them

22-es

Tashi delek,

Why don't you simply use usual Tibetan names instead of Buddha's names? They also have a nice meaning. Your one can be "Khetsun" :)

I can give you a list of mal and female Tibetan names.

Otherwise, yes, it is better to delete files containing Dharma or erase host Buddha names before throwing to garbage.

Thank you, Gelong T. Shenphen