Dharmaling Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Csillag

Your devotion must be such, that .....

Tashi delek :hello:

It is said :

“Your devotion must be such, that your Guru is always present within your mind.”

I was little bit contemplating on this sentence.

In order to have ones Guru always in ones mind, I guess one must begin by trying to feel his presence all the time and according to the development of ones practice, a visualisation will be added, for example like that described within Guru Yoga.

I guess when performing such a practice it could naturally lead to an inward/mental communication with ones guru, for example when one experiences a hard time, one tells him about ones suffering and askes for his blessing to overcome that particular suffering, or when one experiences something very nice, one shares that with ones guru mentally and offers that to him in the form of a mandala. I could imagine that the whole thing becomes such vivid that one could start even to have visions of ones guru or hearing from time to time his voice . I know about few people who were talking about such experienes.

How can one distinguish if someone became crazy/ schizophrenic or not in such a case ? Would you say this depends on whether one becomes with time more and more happier, more and more emotionally balanced or not ? I guess an important factor may be that if one understands that all that what happens ( visions etc ) are just projections of ones mind, nothing to do with the outer guru, it is just a manifestation of ones inner guru and thus one does not develop too much attachment and aversions to such phenomenas.

Could it be possible that some people, who are engaging in practices such as Guru Yoga, but who have not sufficient knowledge about the functioning, nature of ones mind, but having such experiences like feeling a presence, having visions etc, could they become carzy with time, as they cannot deal with the experiences properly ?

Best wishes

Csillag

Guest lodreu

Tashi Delek,

When we are able to relate to our Guru as an Enlightened being, we understand that his mind is of the same nature than all Buddhas minds. Therefore pervades everything.

When we try to generate the same qualities of openess and realizations within our mind, when we try to see all phenomenas as being empty from self existence, when we look around with this view and try to have in the heart the wish to give all beings what they need, whatever it takes, then we are connected with the Guru.

Everytime I open myslef in this way, I can feel a certain relation with my Guru's mind's qualities. Everytime I fell in the trap of miserliness connected with self cherishing, that my emotions blur my perception, that other beings are an annoyance rather than a source of accumulation, I create such a distance.

That's how I understand it. :D

Best regards,

Lodreu

Tashi Delek!

It is said :

“Your devotion must be such, that your Guru is always present within your mind.”

I was little bit contemplating on this sentence.

In order to have ones Guru always in ones mind, I guess one must begin by trying to feel his presence all the time and according to the development of ones practice, a visualisation will be added, for example like that described within Guru Yoga.

There is a little thing to consider in this regard: namely, to have one's Guru always present in one's mind does mean having an observer all the time, someone to potentially see all that is going on inside our mind, and having no place to hide some secrets we don't want anyone to know about. :wink: So without proper devotion we may not accept this. Because of course, the obstacle isn't in the mind of the Guru, it is in our own mind.

How can one distinguish if someone became crazy/ schizophrenic or not in such a case ?
There are some simple rules by which one can determine this borderline: as long as you are capable of getting up every morning, taking care of proper hygiene and generally taking care of yourself, doing your job without problems and as long as you can manage all the aspects of your everyday life, you are not considered crazy. :D

But this of course doesn't mean you aren't suffering under some kind of delusion - it just means you are not "ripe" for mental hospital. ;)

My best wishes.

Tashi Delek,

Therefore pervades everything.
Is it possible to insert Guru`s consciousness into practitioner`s consciousness, when Guru`s consciousness become Buddha`s consciousness? Here I would like to remind about the grong ´jug. If the consciousness can be inserted into dead body for example, I don`t see the reason, why it can not be inserted into alive body? Can we say for the consciousness that it belongs to someone? If "I" don`t exist, there is no "my" consciousness, or? The Buddha`s mind is unconditional and absolute.

Best regards,

Simona