Dharmaling Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Simona

Paths and Grounds (Sa.lam)

Tashi Delek :D

It is possible that I do not understand well :roll: . In order to get the right picture it would be more than welcome, if you could give {..} some explanation regarding the five paths, names accordingly and ten grounds.

Best regards,

Simona

Tashi Delek.

Goodie, thank you. As I see, first there is a system of 5 paths, within which there are 10 levels and within again there are 10 + 3 layers. First 10 layers are refering to emotional obscurations and last 3 layers are refering to the cognitive or wisdom obscurations. First, one should rely upon wisdom to surpass emotions. And then, what to rely upon to surpass wisdom?

Best regards,

Simona

Tashi Delek Simona :),

within which there are 10 levels and within again there are 10 + 3 layers. First 10 layers are refering to emotional obscurations and last 3 layers are refering to the cognitive or wisdom obscurations.
As far as I understand, the division of the 10 levels (bhumis) is not in 10+3 (how can 10+3=10?), but 7+3. Although there might be different explanations about which eliminations comes when, I think that the most common is that the first seven bhumis refers to elimination of emotional obsurations, and eighth, ninth and tenth bhumi refers to eliminating the wisdom obscurations (or obscuration to omniscience).

First, one should rely upon wisdom to surpass emotions. And then, what to rely upon to surpass wisdom?
Maybe one uses wisdom to increase his wisdom.

Tashi Delek goodie :D

As far as I understand, the division of the 10 levels (bhumis) is not in 10+3 (how can 10+3=10?), but 7+3.
I calculated from 1. till 7. level one layer of obscurations is removed at each level (together there are 7 layers that are removed). Further, at the 8. level three layers are removed (so far we`ve got 10 layers). At the 9. level another layers are removed, which refer to the wisdom obscurations (jneyavarana). I read in one book that there are, or at least I understood that wisdom obscurations are removed in three steps therefor it seemed to me that there are another 3 layers of wisdom obscurations, which have to be removed.

Best regards,

Simona

N. B.: I didn`t understand that levels are the same as layers, therefore I was talking about 10+3 layers and YES 10 levels.

Tashi delek,

Something to satisfy those who like classifications :): "Sa.Lam" (Grounds & Paths) :

Two main Mahayana grounds:

1. Bodhisattvas,

2. Buddhas

Two Bodhisattva grounds:

1. Ordinary

1.1 Accumulation,

1.2. Preparation (intellectual realization of Emptiness based on logical sign).

2. Arya (from path of Seing).

*** FIVE PATHS ***

I. Accumulation (of merits): clear realization of the Doctrine.

Three Levels:

1. Renunciation to cyclic existence

2. Generation of Mahayana lineage

3. Generation of Bodhicitta.

II. Preparation: clear realization of the Meaning

1. Heat: close to Path of Seeing;

2. Peak: superior to path of Heat.

3. Forbearance: not rebirth in low realm;

4. Highest Worldly Dharma: last Dharma of worldly level.

III. Seeing (Arya)

1. Wisdom of equipoise meditation:

1.1 Uninterrupted path (1 part in 1st ground, 1 part in 2nd ground);

1.2 Liberated Path;

1.3 Exalted wisdom –

2. Post-meditational Wisdom

3. Wisdom neither of them.

IV. Meditation: Subsequent clear realization of Truth.

1. Contemplative exalted wisdom:

1.1 Uninterrupted path (divided in 9);

1.2 Liberated Path;

1.3 Exalted wisdom

2. Post-meditational Wisdom

3. Wisdom neither of them.

V. No more learning: beyond any conception

*** TEN GROUNDS ***

1. Very joyful – Generosity – Great bliss in giving

2. Stainless – Morality

3. Luminous – Patience; satisfy other beings with teachings which are like light flowing into them

4. Radiant: Effort; consume obscuration like fire

5. Difficult training: Concentration

6. Manifest: Wisdom; to stop 12 links

7. Gone afar: Method; absorb and emerge in 1/65th of a finger snap

8. Immoveable: Prayer; not moved anymore by gross conceptions

9. Fine Intelligence: Power; clear understanding of phenomena

10. Cloud of Doctrine: Exalted Wisdom; immeasurable benefits.

Obscuration to Liberation:

* 112 obscuration to be abandoned in Path of Seeing: 40 of Desire realm, 36 of Form realm, 36 of Formless.

* 16 obscuration to be abandoned in Path of Meditation: 6 of Desire realm, 5 of Form realm, 5 of Formless.

Obscuration to Omniscience:

* 108 obscuration to be abandoned in Path of Seeing: (3 divisions of 4 time 9 levels).

* 108 obscuration to be abandonned in Path of Meditation: 36 of Desire realm, 36 of Form realm, 36 of Formless realm.

All the best, Gelong T. Shenphen

Tashi Delek Ven. Lama Shenphen Rinpoche.

"Sa.Lam" (Grounds & Paths)
Wow! Thank You very much.

N. B.: Goodie, when you wrote that wisdom obscurations are abandoned in the eighth, ninth and tenth bhumi, did you think that the first cycle of wisdom obscurations is abandoned not until attain the ninth bhumi, which means not yet in the eighth bhumi? And the second cycle is abandoned when the tenth bhumi is attained. The last, third cycle is abandoned when the mind transforms into the wisdom dharmakaya (Emptiness of the mind = essential dharmakaya and mind = wisdom dharmakaya).

Best regards,

Simona

N. B.: Goodie, when you wrote that wisdom obscurations are abandoned in the eighth, ninth and tenth bhumi, did you think that the first cycle of wisdom obscurations is abandoned not until attain the ninth bhumi, which means not yet in the eighth bhumi? And the second cycle is abandoned when the tenth bhumi is attained. The last, third cycle is abandoned when the mind transforms into the wisdom dharmakaya (Emptiness of the mind = essential dharmakaya and mind = wisdom dharmakaya).
Hopkins explains it this way:

The obstructions to omniscience are divided into four degrees that are to be eliminated on the last three bhumis:

1. big obstructions to omniscience - eliminated on the second part of the eighth bhumi

2. middling obstructions to omniscience - eliminated on the ninth bhumi

3. coarse small obstructions to omniscience - eliminated on the first part of tenth bhumi

4. subtle small obstructions to omniscience - eliminated on the second part of tenth bhumi

Tashi Delek goodie :D

big obstructions to omniscience - eliminated on the second part of the eighth bhumi
"At the ninth level, "The good mind," the bodhisattva begins at last to remove the wisdom-obscuration..." from The Graduated Path to Liberation, Geshe Rabten Rinpoche (Lama Yeshe Wisdom Archive)

Best regards,

Simona

Hi Simona 8)

"At the ninth level, "The good mind," the bodhisattva begins at last to remove the wisdom-obscuration..." from The Graduated Path to Liberation, Geshe Rabten Rinpoche (Lama Yeshe Wisdom Archive)
So now we don't know whether wisdom-obscurations start to get removed on eighth or ninth bhumi... looks like we'll just have to check ourselves when we come that far :wink: