Dharmaling Forums
Sign in to follow this  

Vows and commitments

Tashi Delek!

Why is it so important to keep the vows pure? Why is better to return them then to break them or make any breach on them?

What are the consequences of breaking a vow:

- in case of applying antidotes and purification practices and

- in case of not applying these (for example because of not being enough strict and aware to notice it or noticing it much later)?

Best regards,

Khandro

Tashi Delek!

Why is it so important to keep the vows pure? Why is better to return them then to break them or make any breach on them?
When you take a vow, you take an engagement, in front of a Lama, in front of Buddhas. This committment gives you a specific energy. To break such engagement is a defeat of your words and a defeat on your spiritual Path; therefore a negative karma. While, if you can't respect it, you can give it back 'clean'.
What are the consequences of breaking a vow:

- in case of applying antidotes and purification practices and

- in case of not applying these (for example because of not being enough strict and aware to notice it or noticing it much later)?

Within the "Individual Liberation vows", when a major defeat is created, it destroy the whole ordination; and you can't take it back. While, if you give back your vows (Rabjung, Getsul, or Gelong) you can take them again later; up to 3 times in a life time.

A broken vow has to be confessed, and purified. If you brake a vow, you shall not think "so, now it's over, I've lost my vows"; otherwise, you will accumulate again and again the negative karma of braking it, each time you will act against it, until you clearly give it up and confessed the fault.

All the best, Gelong Shenphen

Tashi Delek,

It is all said in the Texts. One of these texts (the one below) can lead you to Buddhahood, if you proper understand it. Though it is short it contains the very core of Buddhism, but it can take many years of sacred learning.

Here is the text:

The complete root text of the "Three Principal Paths" (Lam-stzo rnam-gsum) by Je Tsongkapa (1357-1419) ,the very learned Buddhist monk, the glorious Lobsang Drakpa.

"1.I bow to all the high and holy lamas.

2.As far as I am able I'll explain

The essence of all high teachings of the Victors,

The path that all their holy sons commend,

The entry point for the fortunate seeking freedom.

3.Listen with a pure mind, fortunate ones

Who have no craving for the pleasures of life,

And who, to make leisure and fortunate meaningful, strive

To turn their minds to the path which pleases the Victors.

4.There's no way to end, without pure renunciation,

This striving for pleasant results in the ocean of life.

It's because of their hankering life as well that beings

Are fettered, so seek renunciation first.

5.Leisure and fortune are hard to find, life's not long;

Think it constantly, stop desire for this life.

Think over and over how deeds and their fruit never fail,

And the cycle's suffering: stop desire for the future.

6.When you've meditated thus and feel not even

A moment's wish for the goods things of cyclic life,

And when you begin to think both night and day

Of achieving freedom, you've found renunciation.

7.Renunciation though, can never bring

The total bliss of matchless Buddhahood

Unless it's bound by the purest wish; and so,

The wise seek the high wish for enlightenment.

8.They're swept along on four fierce river currents,

Chained up tight in past deeds, hard to undo,

Stuffed in a steel cage of grasping "self",

Smothered in the pitch-black ignorance.

In a limitless round they're born, and in their births

Are tortured by three sufferings without a break ;

Think how your mothers feel, think of what's happening

To them: try to develop this highest wish.

9.You may master renunciation and the wish,

But unless you have the wisdom perceiving reality

You cannot cut the root of cyclic life.

Make efforts in ways than to perceive interdependence.

10.A person's entered the path that pleases the Buddhas

When for all objects, in the cycle or beyond,

He sees that cause and effect can never fail,

And when for him they lose all solid appearance.

11.You've yet to realize the thought of the Able

As long as two ideas seem to you disparate:

The appearance of things - infallible interdependence;

And emptiness - beyond taking any position.

12.At some point they no longer alternate, come together;

Just seeing that interdependence never fails

Brings realization that destroys how you hold to objects,

And then your analysis with view is complete.

13.In addition, the appearance prevents the existence extreme;

Emptiness that of non-existence, and if

You see how emptiness shows in cause and effect

You'll never be stolen off by extreme views.

14.When you've grasped as well as I the essential points

Of each of the three principal paths explained,

Then go into isolation, my son, make mighty

Efforts, and quickly win your ultimate wish."

Five Principles of Sacred Learning

1.With proper study and training, any normal person can attain nirvana and enlightenment in their lifetime; old age and death are not inevitable.

2.Spiritual knowledge belongs to humanity, and should be given free.

3.Both men and women, and people of all backgrounds and financial means, must have equal access to spiritual knowledge.

4.It is our responsibility to devote our efforts and the time of our lives to learn and preserve authentic spiritual knowledge, and assure that it will still be here for the next generation.

5.Different spiritual traditions should be kept accurate and pure, with the recognition that each person's choice of their spiritual path must strictly be respected.

Peace and happiness,

Micu

It is all said in the Texts. One of these texts (the one below) can lead you to Buddhahood, if you proper understand it.
Yes ;) which means that it is not just the Text but it's understanding, through meditation and proper guidance!

All the best, Gelong T. Shenphen

Tashi Delek,

If you take the Five Lay Vows (Genyen), including no alcohol, would it be for example OK to drink beer without alcohol (as it is advertized), but still has some alcohol in it (ten times less than the ordinary - 0,5%), which really has no influence on the person, if only one (two also) bottle is consumated?

Thank you,

Atreju

If you take the Five Lay Vows (Genyen), including no alcohol, would it be for example  OK to drink beer without alcohol (as it is advertized), but still has some alcohol in it (ten times less than the ordinary - 0,5%), which really has no influence on the person, if only one (two also) bottle is consumated?

I would say that it is no problem under 1%.

Tashi Delek!

I agree with Rinpoche, that consuming drinks with alcohol under 1% can not affect our mind, develop some attachment (or worse: alcoholism...)..., which - so I think - is the main meaning or purpose of a vow. But it is said in Genyen vows (and in all others vows as well): no intoxicants. I have some problems with cigarettes: I can stop smoking for a period of time, but when I smoke a first cigarette after some time, I feel a strong craving and I smoke again. It is because of my attachment. My mind is weak (about cigarettes, not to be mistaken... ), and I can understand, that a lay person can drink some drinks with alcohol under mentioned (or even with a higher) level, or smoke a cigarette, or enjoy any other thing without attachment, but I can not understand, why it is allowed such minimum for ordained persons? I saw in India and Nepal (very rare, to be honest) monks smoking cigarettes or drinking beer, and I was thinking: why then they're monks?!?

From my point of view such behaviour can weaken (or break) the vow. And why is it so hard to say no to drinks with a low level of alcohol? Is it maybe because of some attachment to the taste of some drink? I don't mean anyone personally, but within this topic there is almost one year of my fight against smoking, eating meat...

Tashi Delek,

I have no wish for alcohol whatsoever. But I do like beer.

Some would say the above statements contradict one another, but they really don't, not to my mind at least. I asked the question because I wanted to know if the vows would be broken if drinking "non-alcohol" beer with 0,5 % of alcohol still in it...

Greetings,

Atreju

Atreju, Tashi Delek!

I see. Thanks for your reply, but in my case it is not so, because I'm (was) a smoker and alcoholic as welll. It is different if someone needs alcohol (this was my case), or just like beer (wihout addiction).

Be well,

Khyentse

Tashi Delek, Khyentse,

I used to smoke too. Terrible thing! There are two demons in the modern society, completely legal! One is alcohol and the other cigarettes. C2H5OH and tobacco+tar+some other *no-good* substances.

Condemning them doesn't help at all, understanding the negative effects of using them helps a lot, I would say.

Best regards,

Atreju

but I can not understand, why it is allowed such minimum for ordained persons?
Because there are several beverages which can contain less than 1%, including alcohol-free beer, and fruit khefir! ;)

I saw in India and Nepal (very rare, to be honest)  monks smoking cigarettes or drinking beer, and I was thinking: why then they're monks?!?
There might be several reasons why they are monks, out of real religious understanding... unfortunately. :(=

From my point of view such behaviour can weaken (or break)  the vow.
Content of vows and ways to break them is not left to the individual judgement; it is all written clearly in a thick book named "Vinaya".

And why is it so hard to say no to drinks with a low level of alcohol? Is it maybe because of some attachment to the taste of some drink?
Vows are not established to frustrate people, but to establish an ethical line to be followed to deal with attachments and emotions. Yet, if a drink is appreciated, but doesn't risk to "fool" the mind, why to esclude it? And some of those beverage are consumed as well for health reason (as the above mentioned fruit khefir, which helps the immune system and intestinal flora).

A fully ordained monk has 253 vows. Enough thinks to be aware of, and to avoid, no? :wink:

Tashi Delek!

Someone once asked me about giving back genyen vows. I referred the person to their lama, but i have wondered about what the reply was and have never quite dared ask before. Everyone assumes the person asking is just saying "someone asked me" out of embarrassment or something and that they are the "someone" on whose behalf they are asking. Not so in this case, but... I wonder about people who are all enthusiastic and take the 5 vows and then find one to be something they can not, at that time at least, keep. Also, it can be encouraged for those seeking ordination to take them with the additional stipulation of celibacy. If that person then decides that they do not wish to be ordained, is it the same process or not... I always feel i know things until someone asks me questions!

Thank you!!!!

Helen