Dharmaling Forums
Sign in to follow this  
draftsman

Sleeping lion position

Tashi Delek,

It was said at the retreat in Srednji vrh that it is good to sleep in a so-called sleeping lion position (in which Buddha Sakyamuni died if I remember correctly). I have a few questions about this position.

How is it possible that sleeping lion position gives us the same rest as an ordinary "coma" sleep position, since the depth of sleep is greater in the latter case? I read somewhere that all the rest we get from sleep depends of the uninterrupted periods of deep sleep (delta vawes instead of theta waves, which mark the periods of shallow sleep,  combined with R.E.M - rapid eye movement - dreaming period).

Is it ok if both legs (instead of only the upper one) are a bit bend in the sleeping lion position? Can the head be supported by a bent elbow (its inner side) instead of a palm?

Best regards,

Draftsman

Tashi delek,

How is it possible that sleeping lion position gives us the same rest as an ordinary "coma" sleep position, since the depth of sleep is greater in the latter case?

At first, when you are not used to the “sleeping lion position”, your sleep might be sometime “broken” because you do not feel very comfortable. But as you get used to it, you will enter sleep periods of same depth as before, yet in between the very deep periods, your sleep will be less disturbed in the “lying lion position” because the right channel of your body is slightly compressed.

Is it ok if both legs (instead of only the upper one) are a bit bend in the sleeping lion position? Can the head be supported by a bent elbow (its inner side) instead of a palm?

As often, there is the ideal position, and a certain way to reach it ;) It can take some time to adopt the right position. At first, fold the legs a bit more, and move the arm as you can fall asleep well; and progressively you will adjust for the better.

All the best,        Gelong  T. Shenphen

Tashi Delek.

I am reading the book "Sleeping, dreaming, and dying", an exploration of consciousness with the Dalai Lama and when I saw you are talking here about the sleeping, I would like to write some interesting thoughts from it:

"Why do we sleep and dream? What is the purpose of it? There is a quite a debate in neuroscience about this, but there are fundamentally two ways of answering the question. Some people think of sleep as a form of restoration or replenishment. But while this feels intuitively true, nobody so far has identified precisely what it is that we are replenishing. You spend a lot of energy during sleep; there is actually more oxygen consumed during REM sleep than when awake, so it/s not a simple matter of letting the machine cool off. Because REM is such an active state, it`s not obvious how we are replenishing, restoring, or refreshing ourselves. The other answer is that REM sleep is a fundamental cognitive activity. It is the place where people can engage in imaginary play, trying out different scenarios, learning new possibilities; a space of innovation where new patterns and associations can arise, where whatever was experienced can be reelaborated. Dreaming provides a space where you don`t just cope with immediacy, but instead can reimagine, reconceive, reconceptualize. It`s a form of reheasal that allows you to come up with new possibilities."

... the explanation of His Holiness was: "Tibetan Buddhism considers sleep to be a form of nourishment, like food, that restores and refreshes the body. Another type of nourishment is samadhi, or meditative concentration. If one becomes advanced enough in the practice of meditative concentration, then this itself sustains or nourishes the body. Although sleep is a source of sustenance for the body, it`s not clear how dreaming serves the individual, other than its use in meditative practice. In Buddhism, the origin of dreams is understood as an interface between different degrees of subtlety of bodies. But, if you ask why we dream, what`s the benefit, there`s no answer in Buddhism".

Best regards,

Simona

Tashi Delek,

But as you get used to it, you will enter sleep periods of same depth as before, yet in between the very deep periods, your sleep will be less disturbed in the “lying lion position” because the right channel of your body is slightly compressed.

Thank You :yes:.

Because REM is such an active state, it`s not obvious how we are replenishing, restoring, or refreshing ourselves.

I read somewhere that REM actually takes place during the shallow phase of sleep, which is intended for dreaming and not resting.

Best regards,

Draftsman

I would love to learn more about this sleeping lion position, can you please let me know more about it. I tryed on Internet without any success...

Grazie,

Lillipooh

Guest Ani.Chödrön

Tashi Delek,

parinirvana.jpg.

This is the sleeping lion position in which Buddha Shakyamuni attained Parinirvana.

The benefit of sleeping in such position is that it suppresses the channel connected with the disturbing energies, so that sleeping time becomes more peaceful. To my experience dreams change as well. ;)

Women can sleep like mirroring the above picture, because the left and right channels are inverted.

All the best,

chödrön

Tashi Delek,

Women can sleep like mirroring the above picture, because the left and right channels are inverted.

If I may add my humble opinion, I think that both channels aren't inverted. Yet, in women the other channel is the one more disturbing to the mind.

All the best.

Guest Ani.Chödrön
I think that both channels aren't inverted.

Thank you for the correction, Wangmo. ;) I didn't mean the whole channels, as they are not even physical. So, the right channel is connected to the disturbing energies for men, and the left one for women.

All the best,

chödrön