Dharmaling Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Simona

Ethics

Tashi Delek.

"Dangerous consequences will follow when politicians and rulers forget moral principles. Whether we believe in God or karma, ethics is the foundation of every religion." His Holiness the Dalai Lama, From "The Pocket Dalai Lama," edited by Mary Craig, 2002. Reprinted by arrangement with Shambhala Publications, Boston.

I wonder if politics can be ethical?

Best regards,

Simona

Guest Ani.Chödrön

Tashi Delek.

The 12th secondary Bodhisattva vow - being engaged in wrong livelihood - points out 5 characteristics, which might be hard to avoid in politics:

- pretending, - flattering, - hinting, - forcing, - baiting.

Generally speaking, the goals and methods which are not focused on the benefit of all beings might not correspond well with ethics. External legitimisation can cover lack of ethics to some extent, but not for long.

:bishop:

But fortunately there are always exceptions, who prove that it is possible to be ethical in politics, like Mahatma Gandi. :prostate:

All the best,

chödrön

Tashi delek,

I wonder if politics can be ethical?
If by ethical you mean avoiding the ten non-virtuous actions, i beleive it is completely possible. I would even beleive that respecting the ten virtuous actions and having a good heart with genuine concern for the welfare of citizens would make a very popular politician that people would vote for without thoughts of hesitation or regret later. :)) I hope i am not wrong. But within the politics s/he would surely have a rough time with everybody trying to take advantage of her/him. But if s/he truly beleives in goodness and karma even, then we have a winner.  :no1:

Bodily Actions

(1) The Abandonment of Killing

(2) The Abandonment of Stealing

(3) The Abandonment of Sexual Misconduct

Verbal Actions

(4) The Abandonment of Lying

(5) The Abandonment of Divisive Speech

(6) The Abandonment of Abusive Speech

(7) The Abandonment of Idle Speech

Mental Actions

(8) The Abandonment of Covetousness

(9) The Abandonment of Harmful Intent