Dharmaling Forums
Sign in to follow this  
mavrica

pet's name

Tashi Delek,

can you give me some ideas how to name my new cat? I am sure you know a variety of "Buddhist" pet names? ...  :)) how did you name your pets?

ps - sorry I tried to post it in another section - I guess moderator will have to take care of that ... because I don't know how to transfer the post there ...

Why not call it "Milarepa"? So everytime you will call it or shout its name, sentient beings around you who hear it will be freed from unfortunate rebirths for their next 7 consecutive lives! Or so I have read  :yes: Just a suggestion  :0022:

Tashi Delek,

thank you for your suggestions!

does it make any difference whether you use the name for a human being or for your pet animal - I mean, is both okay? what about with the names of the Buddhas and Bodhisattvas? For example, the name Tara?

Tashi delek,

I know of two Slovenian baby girls that were named Tara. :prostate:

And i know of a cute dog named Tara. :yes: I know Kyabje Zopa Rinpoche has a dog, named "Mani". :-)) And i know of a beautiful white cat, named Tenzin. :))

If we name our pet Tara, it might leave a very good imprint on its mind.

Best regards

Tashi delek,

I've found this, which seems to answer your question:

"To overcome laziness, we need to apply the first four of the eight composing mental factors:

- Belief in a fact (dad-pa), namely in the advantages of achieving shamatha.

- This leads to the conscious intention (‘dun-pa) to concentrate.

- This leads to joyful perseverance (brtson-‘grus), happily making an effort to do something constructive."

From here.

Here is an excellent explanation of joyous effort by the great Lama Je Tsongkhapa, the Crown of the Wise in the Land of Snow :prostate:

"Once you wear the armor of resolute and irreversible joyous effort, your expertise in the scriptures and insights will increase like the waxing moon. You will make all your actions meaningful (for attaining enlightenment) and will bring whatever you undertake to its intended conclusion. Knowing this, the bodhisattvas have exerted great waves of joyous effort, washing away all laziness. I, the yogi, have practiced just that. You who also seek liberation, please cultivate yourself in the same way."

From Lines of Experience.

Best regards :-))

It just might be that 'joyful perseverance' and 'joyous effort' are not one and the same, but they do have the same underlying meaning, it seems.

As a flatmate of that cute dog named Tara, I sincerely hope that her name will leave a deep imprint on her mind.  ;) I might add that two more cute dogs called Lhamo (Godess) and Pamo (Brave one, one of the 'nicknames of Arya Boddhisatva Tara) live with me...

Rinpoche has often mentioned how good it is for animals to hear mantras. So in addition to an auspicious name, make sure your pets hear mantras. It might benefit them in their next rebirth! You can also read mor about dharma and animals in Lama Zopa's teachings at http://www.lamayeshe.com/lamazopa/animals.shtml