Dharmaling Forums
Sign in to follow this  
basudarini

Eleven virtues of the mind

Namaste Lama Shenphen,

Could you please expand on this topic.  i have not come across this before.  i know you explained a little about shame and embarassment in another topic on this forum, but could you explain what would be shame (before the Buddhas)?  And the other 10 virtues.

tu jhe che

Tashi delek,

Shame and embarrassment are the basis for restraining oneself to engage in misconduct. They are helping use to put an end to our negative actions of body, speech, and mind.

- Shame is avoiding misconduct facing one's own understanding of its negative aspect.

- Embarrassment is avoiding misconduct due to other’s disapproval.

All the best,  Gelong T. Shenphen

Thank you for answering Lama Shenphen.  Would you please tell me the other 10 virtues of the mind? 

i am still pondering shame.  Your definition is different than i am used to and i am wondering about it. i think in western psychology/therapy shame and guilt are states to be overcome, let go of.  They tend to immobilize people's growth. 

How does shame help our motivation without causing us to be stuck?  i am stuck in my ngondro practice, not doing it, but i do not have shame.  i am hopeless at times about my stuckness.  Some days are better than others.

Here are the 11 virtuous mental factors:

1 Faith

2 Self-respect

3 Consideration for others

4 Detachment

5 Non-hatred

6 Non-bewilderment

7 Enthusiasm

8 Suppleness

9 Conscientiousness

10 Equanimity

11 Non-violence

i think in western psychology/therapy shame and guilt are states to be overcome, let go of.  They tend to immobilize people's growth.

Indeed, the Judeo-Christian society is a lot based on guilt. Someone who feels guilty is "disminished" and more controlable. I think that is why this mechanism hasn't been correctly investigated to be eliminated.

We should dissociate "shame" and "guilt". The first one helps to avoid repeating negative actions and behaviour. While guilt is a disturbing mental attitude which is an obstacle to our mental progress.

To be brief, guilt is a feeling arising from a past action which has been misunderstood. It remains a disturbing memory which indeed tend to block our mind, in its growth and decisions.

Shame arise when we understand correctly that what we are doing is not correct, not in accordance with our believe and ethical values.

Therefore, guilt has to be removed (with a correct understanding of the causality of phenomena), while shame is a "safeguard".

All the best,    Gelong T. Shenphen

Ah yes, i see.  Thanks again. 

i found this at www.virtuescience.com  :

Buddhism

1. The Two Virtues being of much help: 1. Mindfulness (Sati) 2. Self-possession (Sampajanna)

2. The Two Virtues protecting the world: 1. Moral shame (Hiri) 2. Moral fear (Ottapa)

3. The Two Virtues making resplendent: 1. Patience (Khanti) 2. Gentleness (Soracca)

4. The Two Virtues conducive to excellence: 1. Good (Appropriate) knowledge (Vijja) 2. Good (Appropriate) conduct (Carana)

5. The Virtues leading to the cessation of suffering: 1. Mental tranquillity (Samatha) 2. Spiritual insight (Vipassana)

6. The Two Virtues are reckoned as the cessation of suffering: 1. Knowledge (Vijja) 2. Release (Vimutti)

7. The Two Virtues for a good person: 1. Gratitude (Kalannuta) 2. Reciprocating the benefit rendered (Katavedita)

i think i understand now.  Knowing shame without guilt is very freeing.  It does free up the mind to act.  Thank you for the short teaching, Lama Shenphen; i guess i needed it.

Sorry to be chatty, but i have curiosity.  Is non-bewilderment the opposite of confusion?  More like clarity? 

It could be also translated as "non-ignorance", an antidote to Ignorance.

All the best,      Gelong T. Shenphen