Dharmaling Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Felix

Taking refuge... and abandoning it

Guest Felix

Tashi Delek,

sometimes I watch people who take refuge but don't really believe in the basic tenets of Buddhism. They can hold wrong ideas about karma, God, the nature of samsara... Even after having taken refuge, claiming that all religions are basically the same. Some later give up Buddhism, seeing it as just one phase in their life. :,( Taking refuge in the Three Precious Jewels is for lifetime, isn't it?

I believe that it is wonderful for any being to have an opportunity to establish a close contact with pure Dharma :prostate: and a genuine Guru, :prostate: but I worry about the negative consequences of keeping wrong views and abandoning the Three Jewels of Refuge.

Does taking refuge mean mainly a blessing or it includes full responsibility? Does it lead to negative karma and obstacles on one's spiritual path, if one doesn't act in way which supports the Dharma, but instead soils It's Purity? Is it better not to take refuge if one is not sure that it will be for lifetime? Or is the blessing more important?

I can not solve these dilemmas with my ignorant mind i would appreciate very much any answer. Thank you in advance. :bow:

Respectfully,

Felix

Tashi Delek,

A similar topic was already discussed once - under Dharma/General discussion, page 4, subject: Refuge-commitment or good will? - I am having some problems with posting a direct link ://.

Best regards,

Draftsman

Guest Felix

Tashi Delek!

Thank you for your answer, Draftsman. :bow: The link is: http://www.dharmaling.org/component/option, com_wrapper/Itemid,61/lang,en/://http://www.dharmaling.org/component...mid,61/lang,en/

I like the quotes, but it seems that my mind is too deluded to see an answer in them. :blush: It also made me aware that I was not clear enough, I appologise. I know the responsibilities of being a Buddhist, but i wonder about the ones who don't or who are not willing to commit themselves to anything seriously, who don't stay anywhere for long.

- If one doesn't understand the meaning of taking refuge in the Three Jewels, did he take refuge when attending a ceremony or not?

- If he didn't, does it mean that no negativity is done if he doesn't respect the refuge commitments? 

- What if one enters Buddhism by an enthusiastic impulse, ignorant, but later starts to understand its profound Meaning? Does one have to take refuge again or the refuge has been already taken?

- What is more important, the good imprint or the obligations? 

I tend to believe that it is very hard to know it, and that it is a case by case answer, but sometimes people ask us about our opinion and i've thought it would be good to know the topic better and to find out if there are any general recommendations. ;) It's good to remove veils of ignorance and to deepen the understanding of the meaning of taking refuge. :yes:

Thank you for your patience. :bow:

Respectfully,

Felix

Guest Ani.Chodron

Tashi Delek,

i couldn't swear, but i think i’ve heard an answer about this topic once: while the depth of understanding increases also the depth of the imprint or the link with the Three Jewels strengthens. And the level of responsibility to follow the principals of the Path. ;)

From this reason it is good, at least at the beginning, to take refuge again. When the understanding stabilizes, this is not necessary any more. Otherwise we can strengthen the link with listening/reading, thinking, meditating about the topic.

My memory is not reliable, but this makes sense to me.

All the very best,

chödrön

Tashi Delek!

You asked in the first post whether we take Refuge for the whole life ... As the Refuge prayer says, we "go for Refuge till Enlightenment" - so if this means only for one lifetime, we can say we are very lucky.  ;)

- If one doesn't understand the meaning of taking refuge in the Three Jewels, did he take refuge when attending a ceremony or not?

Why to take Refuge if one doesn't understand its meaning?  8/

Beside, you speak about taking Refuge just from the standpoint of going to a Refuge-ceremony. But in fact, doesn't taking Refuge mean to do it every day, in every moment, recognising this to be the right Path?

Otherwise, if you go to a foreign land, and you don't know the laws there, they still apply to you, regardless of your ignorance.

All the best.

Guest Felix

Tashi Delek,

thank you all for your answers, quotes and links. I really appreciate this forums and a possibility to clarify and deepen my understanding.  :bow:

Beside, you speak about taking Refuge just from the standpoint of going to a Refuge-ceremony. But in fact, doesn't taking Refuge mean to do it every day, in every moment, recognising this to be the right Path?

I couldn't agree more, Wangmo. :yes: I was trying to understand the "new age butterflies" and the consequences of blind or emotional engagement. ;)

Respectfully,

Felix