Dharmaling Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Felix

Inner Guru

Guest Felix

Tashi Delek!

How do we properly rely on the Inner Guru?

I've seen so many times that I've deluded myself, that I've rationalized something that was in fact ego trip, that I was 100 % convinced that I was right when I was wrong... I see my inner and outer perceptions as mostly misconceptions. When I was young and foolish, I could believe that mere intuition or some less usual experiences are already a contact with the Inner Guru. Today I believe that until we realize Emptiness, everything we perceive is imbued with ego. ://

Selfish, foolish and blind as I am, how can I rely on the Inner Guru? For me it sounds incomparably safer to rely on the Outer Guru. No matter how irrational it is.

Although I can see the astonishing beauty of the whole Path, the voyage into the innermost essence of our mind, at one point reaching oneness of the Outer and Inner Guru - in practice, whenever I start to think about it, this identity is just spine-chilling for me and I withdraw. What can one do to overcome this obstacle?

And what can one do if one is caught in the opposite extreme, believing that he doesn't need an Outer Guru, because he is already in good contacts with his Inner Guru?

:ssst: Funny, it looks like the scariest imaginable experiences and the most excellent ones are very much close to each other.

I would appreciate any answer. :bow:

Respectfully,

Felix

Not really an answer, just my take on the subject...

Today I believe that until we realize Emptiness, everything we perceive is imbued with ego. ://
I beleive that too.

Selfish, foolish and blind as I am, how can I rely on the Inner Guru? For me it sounds incomparably safer to rely on the Outer Guru. No matter how irrational it is.
I don't think there can be any doubt about that. And it is not irrational, but 'wise'. Of course, you first have to be sure with every atom of your being that you are relying on a qualified Teacher.

Although I can see the astonishing beauty of the whole Path, the voyage into the innermost essence of our mind, at one point reaching oneness of the Outer and Inner Guru - in practice, whenever I start to think about it, this identity is just spine-chilling for me and I withdraw.
As far as i know there is nothing to withdraw from (i am missing the maybe emoticon). Pabongka Rinpoche says in his Calling the Lama From Afar: "bless me to meet the ultimate lama - the bare face of my innate mind...".

Funny, it looks like the scariest imaginable experiences and the most excellent ones are very much close to each other.
Like Tonglen. Scarry! ...for the ego - absolutely devastating. I mean... who is actually ready and willing to take upon her/himself all the present and future negativities and sufferings of one sentient being, let alone of all the countless sentient beings who pervade space in all the six realms of existence?!

Best regards,

Guest Felix

Tashi Delek!

The furthest I could reach in solving this puzzle is the idea of a hologram. Basically this is the idea of interdependence of all.

Respectfully,

Felix

Guest Ani.Chödrön

Tashi Delek,

it is good to be careful with the simplifications like “inner Guru = outer Guru†or “everything is an illusion†and similar, because they can lead into misunderstanding.

It would be better to say that inner Guru is “of the same nature†as outer Guru - it doesn't mean that they are the same stream of consciousness.

Similarly, it would be better to say that “everything that we perceive†is an illusion - it doesn't mean that different streams of consciousness do not exist, what is illusionary is our perception about them.

The furthest I could reach in solving this puzzle is the idea of a hologram. Basically this is the idea of interdependence of all.
I would say this is more like an eco system than a hologram, because an eco system is an open system, while a hologram is hermetic within itself, although it is charming. ;)

All the very best,

chödrön