Dharmaling Forums

I understand Dharmaling is a non-politic organisation, but what do you think of the situation between Israel and Lebanon?

Specially when we read:

"Speaking on Israeli army radio, Mr Ramon - a close confidant of Israeli Prime Minister Ehud Olmert - said "everyone understands that a victory for Hezbollah is a victory for world terror".

He said that in order to prevent casualties among Israeli soldiers battling Hezbollah militants in southern Lebanon, villages should be flattened by the Israeli air force before ground troops moved in.

He added that Israel had given the civilians of southern Lebanon ample time to quit the area and therefore anyone still remaining there could be considered a Hezbollah supporter.

"All those now in south Lebanon are terrorists who are related in some way to Hezbollah," Mr Ramon said. "

This assimilate all civilians who did not rtan away from their home as terrorist! And Israel says that staying is being ready to die!!

Bye, Alan

Thank you Alan for posting this. The green below is 'me'.

This assimilate all civilians who did not rtan away from their home as terrorist! And Israel says that staying is being ready to die!!

A brutal manipulation with the wish to kill. No rules, just havoc! :(

What I am perhaps even more concerned with is this:

Foreign ministers from key countries - including the US, Britain and regional powers - attended emergency talks on the crisis in Rome on Wednesday.

They did not call for an immediate ceasefire, vowing instead to work with the "utmost urgency" for a sustainable truce.

"We received yesterday at the Rome conference permission from the world... to continue the operation," Israeli Justice Minister Haim Ramon said.

The world has become so sick with 'fighting terrorism' and lying manipulation, headed by the USA (and their crazy vetos in the Sec. Council), that the very sense for basic ethical values is being perniciously violated. Whatever happened to: "Thou shall not kill." and "Everyone has the right to life, liberty and security of person."? What kind of standards for 'Peace' are the leaders of the countries of the world setting? :(

Good to know:

At least 423 Lebanese and 51 Israelis have died in the violence since Hezbollah captured two Israeli soldiers in a cross-border raid on 12 July.

And the Wheel of Violence turns...Today's statement by Al-Qaeda (from BBC)

Al-Qaeda's deputy leader, Ayman al-Zawahiri, has said in a video the militant network will respond to attacks on Muslims in Lebanon and Gaza.

The video was broadcast by Arabic television station al-Jazeera.

Al-Qaeda could not remain silent in the face of a "Crusader war" and now saw "all the world as a battlefield open in front of us", he said.

Events in Lebanon and Gaza showed the importance of the battle in Afghanistan and Iraq, he added.

"As they attack us everywhere, we will attack them everywhere. As they have joined forces to fight us, our nation will unite to fight them," he said.

"The shells and rockets which are tearing the bodies of Muslims in Gaza and Lebanon are not purely Israeli. They are produced and financed by all the countries of the Crusader alliance.

"Therefore, all those who have taken part in the crime must pay the price. We cannot just watch these shells as they pour wrath on our brothers in Gaza and Lebanon and sit back in submission."

The statement is thought to be the first comment by al-Qaeda against Israel's war on Lebanon.

There is really only one thing that comes to my mind. There can be no peace as long as people (who elect their leaders) beleive that they can reach it through violence. And of course, these 'wars' are propelled by the desire for even more power, more control and by the greed of the richest, who see clearly that it more than pays off to spread fear and destruction. Divide and rule.

When Al-Zarqawi, the terrorist, was killed some months ago, even Kofi Anan said that it was "a relief". I don't think I can forget that.

I must add that I do not hold Kofi Anan's statement against him, he is a diplomat (i beleive truly working for the welfare of the nations), but it does clearly show the atmosphere and the measures of power in which the UN organization is caught in...

Of course, not many people will see anything wrong with being happy when a terrorist is killed by a bomb-explosion... :taptap:

Please see here.

Guest Felix

Tashi Delek!

When Lama Shenphen Rinpoche requested prayers for peace in the Middle East, I did some prayers and dedications. But I could do more. :blush: I wonder if the emergency talks of the foreign ministers would have different result if we preyed more dedicatedly. I will surely put more effort into it. :prayer:

On the other hand it made me more aware how quickly the Kaliyuga is proceeding. :,( Thirty years ago, people would demonstrate, today we are silent. As if feeling helpless, even on the West. Still, we have to create the conditions that we aspire for. 

Respectfully,

Felix

Today I was reminded that the 5 member states of the UN Security Council are at the same time the largest producers/sellers of weapons in the world. It wouldn't be exactly profitable for them to actually pursue a world without military conflict and reach peaceful solutions. Bad for the economy.

"US flights stopping over in Britain en route to Israel to deliver weapons, GBU-28 bombs conceived to destroy the bunkers and targets buried." !!!

We knew US were behind, wishing to establish they feet into Middle-Orient, benefiting from the actual chaos. But now we know they do continue to send bombs, which very likely will be used against Lebanon and Palestine! That's why they object to an immediate cease-fire. In such case, they wouldn't be able to test their weapons and sell more to Israel.

Where are we going?!

Guest Felix

Tashi Delek!

If Condoleezza Rice was honest, she would play Chopen’s Funeral March, not Brahm’s Intermezzo in Kuala Lumpur.

There’s no respect for the growing number of the suffering civilians, for the most basic human rights, for human dignity.

It’s hard to watch so many people loosing all hope. :,(

Respectfully,

Felix

It's the manipulation, the words that the US officials use in order to justify the operation that kill me. They claim that the operation should continue and that what the situation needs is 'sustainable truce', which in fact means no truce, but war!

(The US follow the same logic as in fighting their own war against terrorism. They claim 'Freedom' is worth waging war for.)

From BBC:

US Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice has expressed concern for the suffering of "innocent people" in the current fighting in the Middle East.

She was speaking after talks with Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas and following an earlier meeting with Israeli PM Ehud Olmert.

Mr Abbas called for an immediate truce but Mr Olmert told her there would be no let-up in army operations.

Ms Rice did not back Mr Abbas' call - but urged peace across the region.

Does anyone else detect a certain illogicality in that stand? Now the US don't want truce, but peace! :dontknow: :/

How dare they??...  :(  i know it's due to ignorance but it's the sheer heartlessness and coldbloodedness of 'logical justification' which are nothing but lies that kills me, it really does.

Guest Felix

Tashi Delek!

There is a light in every darkness, even if small. Touched by the inevitable suffering of sentient beings, direct and the one which will follow from the reactions to this suffering, a Buddhist can practice.

Often we forget about the interconnectivity of all there is. Not only that a bomb can crash in Europe, our neighbors also tend to loose hope. The more we open ourselves to the suffering of the others, more we can transform our self-cherishing attitude into sincere care for the others. This includes all beings: victors in this life are victims in the next – all caught in Samsara, Kaliyuga era.

There is a need and there is an opportunity to train our mind, for the service of the others. From life to life, from hell to heaven and back, as long as it takes to cut the root of all suffering. :bow:

Respectfully,

Felix

Good morning,

I look at the situation since a nearly month, and I am really astonished and extremely sadden.

This conflict breaks down all principles of democracy and human rights. This aggressing country created artificially, and by force, is, since the beginning of its existence, source of troubles all around itself. Not to mention that it is one of the countries possessing nuclear power which did not signed the treaty of non-proliferation of nuclear weapons! The same person who is talking openly today about killing, destroying, assassinating, kidnapping, has the possibility to launch a nuclear weapon!

Is this the country of the “chosen ones”? Claiming a piece of land on the name of God? Which God would support the actions of such people? “You shall not kill”, wasn't written on in the ten commandments of Moses on the way to their “promised land”?

Aren't most people there descending from people who have been victim of Nazism half century ago? Today, the prime minister of Israel is talking about "complete elimination"; doesn't it sound frighteningly familiar?

Why people do not learn from History?...

I was looking at the following pictures, and it saddens me even more. How to rejoice about killing? How to teach children the benefit of killing?! Link (note: this link points at one page, for the sake of viewing the photos; it doesn't point at the web site itself, with contents we might not agree with).

This morning, while bombing continues in Lebanon, the president of the Palestinian Parliament has been kidnapped by the Israeli forces. We can surely disagree with the ideas of others, and some other countries, but this man has been elected democratically. This is against the concept itself of democracy... if this word means anything anymore.

Is it really possible to think that destroying Lebanon and Palestine, and killing all this civilians and children, will solve anything? Kill today one extremist here along with two children; ten will appear tomorrow somewhere else, as a response. The Hezbollah might disappear in Lebanon, for while, but you can't destroy by force what you hate.

“Eye for eye, and the world will become blind” said Mahatma Gandhi...

By its own actions, Israeli government is creating the seeds for more and more terrorism in the months, years to come. Is this so difficult to understand? It is clear from a human point of view, a political one, not to say about a karmic one too.

It is a pity that Israelis do not believe in karma, they would be much more careful, and understand that they are “cursing” themselves in their so called crusade against terrorism! And all countries supporting them in the same way...

Only peace can bring peace. Peace and respect.

Respect could be to give up desire to possess what belongs to the others, for example. This was the basis for the Hezbollah to fight against Israel.

I won't come back on the legitimacy of borders of the Israel land itself, but may be if Israel would give back the Shebaa Farms, invaded in 1967 (note: 10 km square area where the Lebanese, Syrian and Israeli borders meet) the Hezbollah would come to discussions and eventually to peace? But, no, Israeli government is deaf to this.

After having created chaos and destruction to Irak, having soldiers in court for raping and murdering 14 years old girl and all her family following an invasion on the basis of enormous lies (ie. the mass destruction weapons Saddam Hussein never possessed), the US are now providing more weapons to Israel, which killed over 1000 civilians, destroying hospitals, ambulances, creating an incredible pollution of the whole Mediterranean sea, and blocking peace resolution at the UN. The World is upside down...

Of course I do not agree with the armed fighting and killing of the Hezbollah. I just try to understand, and by that draw an idea of how peace could be established in this area.

It is sad to see the suffering, and the cause of suffering. Killing with hatred is one of the worst karma one being can create.

I pray, and request prayer from all of you, not just for the victims of these atrocities, but for those who are creating them, for they do not understand what they are doing... :prayer:

All the best, Gelong T. Shenphen

We received this email, this morning. We share it with you:

Dear friends,

Right now a tragedy is unfolding in the Middle East. Thousands of innocent civilians have been killed or wounded in the bombings in Lebanon, Palestine and Israel and the death toll is rising every day. If the US, Syria or Iran get involved, there is a chance of a catastrophic larger war.

UN Secretary General Kofi Annan has called for an immediate ceasefire and the deployment of international troops to the Israel-Lebanon border, and been strongly supported by almost every world leader. This is the best proposal yet to stop the violence, but the US, the UK, and Israel have refused to accept it.

I have just signed a petition calling on US President Bush, UK Prime Minister Blair, and Israeli Prime Minister Olmert to support Kofi Annan\s proposal. If millions of people join this call, and we advertise our views in newspapers in the US, UK, and Israel, we can help pressure these leaders to stop the fighting. Go to the link below and sign up now!

http://www.ceasefirecampaign.org

With hope,

From Aljazeera.net

Venezuela pulls out Israel ambassador

Chavez expressed his 'indignation' at Israel's offensive in Lebanon

Hugo Chavez, the Venezuelan president, said he had recalled his country's ambassador to Israel to show his "indignation" over the military offensive in Lebanon.

In a televised speech on Thursday, he called the Israeli attacks "genocide".

He said: "It really causes indignation to see how the state of Israel continues bombing, killing ... with all of the power they have, with the support of the United States."

Chavez has repeatedly criticised the Israeli offensive.

He said: "It's hard to explain to oneself how nobody does anything to stop this horror."

His government has until recently said it had good relations with Israel.

During a recent visit to Iran, Chavez called Israeli attacks on Lebanon a "fascist outrage".

He said: "The Israeli elite repeatedly criticise Hitler's actions against the Jews, and indeed Hitler's actions must be criticised, not just against the Jews but against the world. It's also fascism what Israel is doing to the Palestinian people ... terrorism and fascism."

Venezuela has both Arab immigrant and Jewish communities and Venezuelan officials have insisted that the government will continue to fully respect the Jewish community despite its strong opposition to Israel's war in Lebanon.

Tashi Delek,

Is it really possible to think that destroying Lebanon and Palestine, and killing all this civilians and children, will solve anything? Kill today one extremist here along with two children; ten will appear tomorrow somewhere else, as a response. The Hezbollah might disappear in Lebanon, for while, but you can't destroy by force what you hate.

“Eye for eye, and the world will become blind†said Mahatma Gandhi...

BBC reported recently that the support for Hezbollah's actions increased drastically among the Lebanese people after the first Israeli attacks. Before that it was quite low, but nowadays it is almost 90%. Probably the same can be said for the Israelis after the rocket attacks from Hezbollah.

I think that the main problem is the absence of the international (police&judicial) bodies, who could efficently intervene and sanction the politicial leaders taking the decisions to attack another country or to defend against its attack in a disproportionate way. It might sound unreally, but this would make politicans think a few times before taking extreme measures and it would diminish the difference between terrorism as a criminal act of an individual or a group and state terrorism, which is hidden behind (illegitimate and often also illegal) political decisions.

Best regards,

Draftsman

I think that the main problem is the absence of the international (police&judicial) bodies, who could efficently intervene and sanction the politicial leaders taking the decisions to attack another country
Isn't this body supposed to be the UN?

Thank you,

Tashi Delek,

Isn't this body supposed to be the UN?

I guess in theory. But in practice it seems that some major countries are impeding UN's functioning by not paying its membership fee and by becoming themselves a big part of the problem UN should resolve. Also, beside UN an international criminal court is needed, but USA :levitation: failed to ratify its existence and even conditioned the NATO membership for some of the ex-communist Eastern European countries with the promise not to hand over US citizens (soldiers :angel: ) to the mentioned court if accused of genocide or another war crime. And we all remember what happenned when US pilots fooled around in Italy, flying under and over one gondola, breaking the cords and killing lots people - they were quickly transferred to USA, where they were later pardoned by a US military court... So much for the rule of the international law :read_this:

Best regards,

Draftsman