Dharmaling Forums
matjazz

Lobsang Rampa

Tashi Delek

I read two book s from lama Lobsang Rampa "The third eye" and "The Cave of the Ancients" (slovene translation)

It was realy very exciting reading and after that I try to find more information on the web.

I become sad when I found an article which said Rampa is charlatan . :,(

Have anybody right information about Rampa ?

Thanks

Best regards, Matjaž

"Lobsang Rampa" was indeed a strange person. He was in reality an English plumber. He said he had a car accident during which his consciousness left and was replaced by the consciousness of a Tibetan monk.

First, such case do not happen. It is possible that a strong spirit takes a dead body, but it is for short time, as the body will continue to decay.

Second, in his writtings there are lot of mistakes. Example: the opening of the third eye never took place. The "third eye" opens spiritualy, not needing any physical hole in the forehead.

Yet, I personaly will never blame him, because he has awaken the interest of thousands of people toward Tibetan Buddhism, and many of them actually became Buddhist. Therefore, I've never been sad or frustrated to leanr that Lobsang Rampa was in fact an English plumber.

We have to keep in mind that Bodhisattvas are taking various form, using various skilful means, to help as many people as possible.

Thank you.

Thanks for your answers

I must to confess I'm a person who like to believe in "miracle" thinks especialy when lama writen them

In his book there are many of them (Yetis, telepaty, Ancient cave, 4.5 m long bodyes from our predecessors, , astral journeys, etc )

I understand (hope I realy do ) that developing bodicita is our primary goal so such reading can not help us in this way, but since we are westerns such books attract us very much .

My knowledge/wisdom is not at the level to distinguish between true/untrue storyes in such books

that mean beter not to read them ?! :// ... but still like to know which part are true :0022:

regards , Metjaž

I must to confess I'm a person who like to believe in "miracle" thinks especialy when lama writen them In his book there are many of them (Yetis, telepaty, Ancient cave, 4.5 m long bodyes from our predecessors, , astral journeys, etc )
Indeed, these books are very "exciting". And a lot of what is written is possible and true.

My knowledge/wisdom is not at the level to distinguish between true/untrue storyes in such books

that mean beter not to read them ?! :// ... but still like to know which part are true :0022:

May be you could take your questions to the next questions/answers time with Lama Shenphen Rinpoche, and ask them :)

Thank you

Indeed this book was the opening of my eyes :). As misterious as it was written, it interested me so much I decided to read only 2-3 pages per day, so it didn¨t come to an end too soon :prayer: . Well one day it did and I had quite a hard time loosing my best time of the day.

It did its own work, made me very curious and after all: I can only be grateful for it to come into my hands.