Dharmaling Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Petra S

Absent Parents

Guest Petra S

Hi,

I was thinking about the increasing growth of single-parent families. And even larger number of families where both parents are formally taking care of the child but are absent virtually all the time. How do these situations influence the development of a child? And what can balance the effect?

Bye,

Petra

Hi, I think that in dealing with this topic, we “cannot†overlook the influence of the cyberspace. Somehow I notice that great part of the communication is moving into cyberspace in all spheres of the human life (banking, shopping, studying, social activities, business activities, etc.). In this manner also relations between parents and children are affected. It is about different kind of the communication that it was usual not so far ago. People are getting connected by mobile phones, emails, forums, chat rooms and so on. Is this better or worse, is it a cause or is it an effect of "fast" way of living? May be we could say in some other topic some words about children in cyberspace or/and about netiquette (http://www.albion.com/netiquette/corerules.html).

Best regards,

Simona

Guest Petra S

Hi,

Hi, I think that in dealing with this topic, we “cannot†overlook the influence of the cyberspace.
Surely, these are the streets where kids are growing up today. :-//

It's the same topic: who is educating children? Electronic media and women. Men left to another movie. Maybe the thread should be named "Absent Men". ;)

But this is problematic. Who can set the limits? :read_this: Kids hate limits, media leave the "freedom of choice" and women are afraid to be unkind, they can be indecisive and change their mind very quickly. Where can children learn about stability, silent consideration and impersonal analysis? :levitation: And to take a firm decision, a long-term commitment, and stand after it?

I'm not saying that only women lack these features, we were talking about feminisation of men before.

Bye,

Petra

Men left to another movie. Maybe the thread should be named "Absent Men". ;)
Hi, I do respect your point of the view, but I have to say that I know a lot of responsible fathers, and I don`t know which movie are you looking at to not see them. In general, if responsible fathers are not presented in women`s minds this does not mean they don`t exist. They are a part of this world we share together, many times without announcing loudly how good parents they are, because they know the most valuable recognition and appreciation they get comes from the side of the children they take care of.

Best regards,

Simona

Guest Petra S
In general, if responsible fathers are not presented in women`s minds this does not mean they don`t exist.
:D You are right. I must admit that when I'm with men, we keep our private lives private. When I'm with women, I listen mostly about their private lives. So my view is indeed biased. Thanx for pointing it out, this makes the picture more optimistic. ;)

But the main questions still remain opened.

Ciao,

Petra