Dharmaling Forums
Sign in to follow this  
chokyi

A Question....

:prayer: Am....if for example one person can get sad for no special reason. :,( Like s/he gets sad (upset) by looking at a cat. He lookes at the cat and it seems sad to him that the cat has created some bad karma in the past to be re-born as an animal.Sometimes i have this problem.... :0022: i can look at an animal and get sad just because of its existence, even if i know perfectly well that it lives a nice life and everyhing.

So....is this a sort of a problem,- "getting upset too easyly" or it means that the person is too sensitive or what?.....

tnx :angel:

Dear Chökyi,

To get sad when understanding the condition of rebirth of an animal is rather a good sign. Because indeed, it is not a good type of rebirth, even if at first look it seems ok, pleasant, etc... But you should not get disturbed by this understanding.

The sadness should give raise to the strong wish to become a Buddha yourself, because from that state you will really be able to know what to do to help animals to get a better rebirth and Liberation from Samsara.

When you feel this sadness, do not let it to overwhelm your mind. Instead, sit well, close your eyes, breath well, and appease your thoughts. Then, you can meditate on generating Bodhicitta. You can recite Compassion Buddha's (Chenrezi) mantra, or other mantras you know.

To be sensitive, as you say, isn't really a problem. But to be “over” sensitive can become one, because it blurs our perceptions, and instead of taking the direction of the spiritual Path, we can get depressed or disturbed, and this doesn't help anybody.

All the very best

Tashi Delek Dear Rinpoche,

thank You for this answer also on my behalf.

But what if these beings are not animals, but people, who are able to realize their condition? Working on my mind will help eventually better than I am able to help now; but until then, they will still experience a lot of suffering, and create a lot of negative karma. How to see this, because there are many in need? And how to set priorities, because they could all be first to attend to? I don't know who suffers more, because from the perspective of an individual, also the pain is individual. And it's not only who suffers more, but who needs it more, because there are many who think they don't need help, but they are blind (which is probably most of us in samsara until we decide to stop it)? And there is suffering everywhere. There are so many many ways of help that do not need any special wisdom, like visiting an old person, or taking in care a parent's child for him or her to take a breath. I know that the more developed Wisdom and Bodhicitta are the better this help is in quality, but sometimes it's just about keeping a company or simply giving a hand. I am having a hard time seeing this clearly at the moment; if any of You would help me clarify my view, i will appreciate. Thank you.

Pamo