Dharmaling Forums
Csillag

Pig Year A Black Year ?

Tashi delek,

A friend of mine told me the pig year is a so called black year, meaning obstacle year. It is not good to start any new things this year, like marriage, retreat, new job etc. :(

Many lamas take those astrological influences quite seriously, like for instance they do not travel when they have a personal obstacle year, they better stay in retreat.

But there are also exceptions between then Lamas, for instance Trangu Rinpoche was starting to build his monastery Vajra Vidaya Institute in Saranath on the most inausspicious day of the year, the other Lamas were warning him. But his monastery is nowadays despite of the bad day running very well. :D

I wonder how much one is dependent on these astrological influences, how much can dharma practice do to prevent obstacles etc. ?

Best wishes

Csillag

Hi !

If the years of the pig are Bad years, I was born on a sad year (1983 Pig-water) should it mean that all the bad-luck will follow me ? I don't think so ! Neither I don't believe in good or bad year, Because the year is what we want it to be, and I come to life again on the karma of each of us !

But I'm not denying the influance of the constellations and the planets of our system ('cause I believe on earthly energy, cosmo telluric .. and so on), but saying that the pig year is a bad year is like to put a spell on the year and early damn it for what it haven't already done !

I think the better way to prevent obstacles is to practice dharma as much as you can with much faith, but it will always exist some external phenomenons you'll can't prevent !

But it's just my point of view !

Have a good day !! :bow:

Tashi Delek

A friend of mine told me the pig year is a so called black year, meaning obstacle year. It is not good to start any new things this year, like marriage, retreat, new job etc. :(

I didn't hear this. Maybe it is meant like this because the Pig is the last year of the 12-year cycle?

On the other hand, I heard the Pig year is considered as very fortunate, pleasant and rich, so maybe it is too much luxury which creates an obstacle? I also heard the Pig year is a year of good will among people, of peace and understanding ...

BTW: Wasn't His Holiness born in a Pig year?

All the best.