Dharmaling Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Pamo

Buddhas' Images

Dear All,

I heard that it is not good to keep the image of a Buddha just about everywhere in one's place, for example in the kitchen where the food is being cooked, or maybe also in a corridor where not much light enters....; even thought they are respectfully put on the wall or other place. How is it with this, please? Also, i'd like to ask here about wearing a Buddha image as a pendant of a neckless, some say it is not respectfull and therefore not all right? I don't have this knowledge,; if you do, please, can you share. Thank you very much.

:bow:

best regards

pamo

Tashi Delek.

Hello, dear Pamo.

I also have Buddha images on various places, in almost every room at least one small image or symbol of buddhism (except in my bedroom) and have been asking myself the same question.

Well, as far as I have heard by now, there are a couple of restrictions about where to have Buddha's images (certain activities that are not respectful to do in their presence; not wearing buddha's image as jewellery if that would result in one's vanity etc.). When I think about placing an image somewhere or wearing malas etc., I always double-check my motivation. why do I want to place this image here? only so the room looks good? do I wear malas to give an impression of being spiritual? that would, from my point of view, be a very wrong motivation.

it is true that buddhist images indeed look nice and create a certain effect in the room where they hang, but the main reason (as I see it) is that they keep reminding me to be attentive. for example, when I wash, to visualise Vajrasattva's light pouring down on me from the shower and recite mantra along. when I cook, to remember offering the food to all the buddhas and bodhisattvas and imagining that every sentient being has enough food and drink.

that is what helps me.

and beside it, I guess, it makes no harm if other people whom you share an appartment with notice the images, it can give them a positive imprint - providing they don't provoke negative actions in them (if I am wrong, please someone correct me in this) - I am not living in the appartment alone, so I discussed it with my friend, if he feels comfortable about some buddhist images I put on the walls. I respect the fact that not everybody feels comfortable living in "a temple"...

as far as visitors are concerned, that is another question - I would not remove the buddha's image only to please my guests - if they don't feel comfortable, well, they can leave.

However, these are only my thoughts on the subject. If anybody can provide some more information, I will be very glad to read it.

With my best wishes.

Dear Chodzin,

thank you very much for your opened answer.

for example, when I wash, to visualise Vajrasattva's light pouring down on me from the shower and recite mantra along. when I cook, to remember offering the food to all the buddhas and bodhisattvas and imagining that every sentient being has enough food and drink.

This is very nice.

I have been in doubts about keeping Buddha image in a corridor or kitchen since i have heard it; i did not see the reason, but i don't many times :)

Well, my birds live in my kitchen, and they have created the karma to see the Buddha from closer :)

Thank you again.

All the very best,

pamo

Buddha is the noble human of the whole world . I think that his image isn't good to keep everywhere in one's place .

We shouldn't show no respect for his image . Therefore , can you keep buddha's image in your heart ?