Dharmaling Forums
Sign in to follow this  
mavrica

Incorruptibles?

Tashi Delek,

is this phenomenon also documented in buddhism?

this article speaks about "the first proven case in the world", which I find impossible to believe (that it is really the first): http://www.bumbinorn.ru/2007/02/22/hambo_lama_48654.html ??

I have also heard this had happened to some christian practitioners: http://www.overcomeproblems.com/incorruptables.htm

How can it come to such a state in the first place? Are the bodies, displayed in those churches, really "incorruptible" bodies? I haven't seen any personally yet. Did any of you?

Can such a thing happen only to a really advanced practitioner or is it the matter of some chemical substances in the body??

All the best!

Tashi Delek

is this phenomenon also documented in buddhism? ...

Can such a thing happen only to a really advanced practitioner or is it the matter of some chemical substances in the body??

According to my exploration above mentioned phenomena are quite common among highly realised lamas and yogis. With that exception that after several days their boddis are usually cremated. Here is another record of similar event when His Hollines 16th Gyalwa Karmapa was passing away:

"Rangjung Rigpei Dorjé died on November 5, 1981 in the United States in a hospital in Zion, Illinois. Doctors and nurses at the hospital remarked on his kindness and how he seemed more concerned with their welfare than his own. One doctor was also struck by the Karmapa's refusal of pain medication, without any signs of feeling the pain that most patients in his condition report.Many inexplicable things happened during that Chicago time. A medical record of them was kept by the Indian army physician, Dr Kotwal, who had accompanied His Holiness medically for many years. When the immortal enlightened mind of the Sixteenth Karmapa left its physical shell, his body remained in gentle meditation for three days, during which time the heart centre remained very warm and the skin supple. This was attested to by the doctors despite all the other clinical symptoms of death. Amazed, some of the medical staff visited the holy place of his room, to witness the impossible. Only after three such days did the usual manifestations of death appear...

During the seven weeks between his death and his cremation, Karmapa's body spontaneously shrank to the size of a small child. He was cremated in Rumtek...

During the cremation a circular rainbow appeared around the sun in a clear blue sky. During his cremation, his heart fell from the blazing body. The heart is now a venerated relic, stored in a stupa at Rumtek monastery. Bones that remained after the cremation of Rangjung Rigpe Dorje formed Buddhas and many relics..."

Every moment of a Buddha is a teaching on the true nature of phenomena even when they are passing away.

hello,

According to my exploration above mentioned phenomena are quite common among highly realised lamas and yogis.

So there is a certain state of mind which brings a person to the point where body doesn't decompose? Like a perfect meditative equipoise? But how come this result stays long after one's death, as their consciousness is no longer present? Is it like some kind of an imprint which remains?

Good evening,

When the Chinese Army started to destroy Tibet, back in 1959, they destroyed the stupa in which Lama Tsong-Kha-Pa was placed after in death, somewhere in the 14th century. It is reported that He was still fresh and “young looking”. The skin was soft and not damaged.

This is the result of some intense meditation, purification, and special practices involving energies. The purity of the consciousness affects the body. And the cells remain impressed by the energy of such Beings even when the consciousness has left the body.

All the best,

Tashi Delek.

Thank You for Your answer, Ven. Rinpoche.

I have another question. Well, more of them actually ... (and will refrase them a little bit).

As I see this subject, it looks like the "incorruptibility" of the body is something very positive, it is a result of intensive inner cleaning and work on the mind. So even the body that is left behind, still brings positive energy into its surrounding, a blessing.

How about in the cases of spontaneous combustion - if that is a true phenomenon at all? Is that a complete opposite? How does it even come to it? An excess of energy?? Can treatments, which help somebody raise the energy level in the body, also result in losing control over one's energy or does the body (or mind?) have any "inner blockades" to regulate it?

Are there any "predispositions" of a person which could result in sponateous combustion?

I hope anyone here will be willing to help me clear my thoughts about it.

About spontanious combustion. This is a thrue phenomenom (well at leat I read so, I didn't combust yes, so I can't be 100% sure...)

Some yogis could use this metod intencionally, when they felt it was time to live there body at a certain auspicius moment, off course they were masters of different kind of yoga, including energy manipulation. Some of them use this in sanyas, because they were alone in the himalaya mountains, and they still wanted to be cremated properly (like Drtharastra -an Indian yogi)

But spontanious combustion also happened to some people who did not know or practise any kind of yoga or did not follow any religion. Some say that happenes because of to much fire element in there body combined spontanious kundalini awakening, when the body was not prepared to it.