billytiss

Meditation

Hi,

I am very surprised with what I found as a definition of mediation:

meditation stands for habituating the mind to positive states

:bow:

Hmmmm...that's nice

Guest Petra S

What is meant by positive states? Can you see it from the context of your source? Does it mean pleasurable or oriented to benefiting others?

Maybe both. It reminds me of the topic of samsara and renunciation. It seems that a there are scientific proofs that meditation on "unrestricted readiness and availability to help living beings" brings happiness in samsaric life as well. As a side effect, not the goal, of course.

As a beginner, I also see the importance of rejoicing, inspiration and encouragement for meditation, so that it is not just a duty. The habit of connecting these joyous states with meditation helps me to create a stronger habit of meditation. I guess later the results of meditation encourage a meditator by themselves.

But I wonder what your source says. :bow:

Bye, Petra

Dear Petra,

What is meant by positive states? Can you see it from the context of your source? Does it mean pleasurable or oriented to benefiting others?

I don't know what billytiss's source is, but i also like the sentence she is stating. To me "positive" means supporting life/truth; making one more free, stronger from withing, happier, more peacefull. And all the Dharma teachings are about it, as i see it, so many little details, bringing one to recognition that peace, happiness, freedom, even pleasure, and all one would like or wish for, are one and the same - of others and mine. Positivity makes me grow, allowing negativity makes me stumble in one spot...for as long as i allow it. I like the statement because i also like it when i read it that our true nature is pure and enlightened, that we have only made ourselves narrow minded through ages nad ages of time of negative thinking; getting used to it made it as solid as a brick. But what teachers say and what is encouragefull is that we in nature are purely positive - that we have a Buddha nature. :prostate:

all the very best

pamo

This is written before, it was written under topic Deity practice.

If one imagines in deep meditation that one is a perfect, loving being, free from the delusions of attachment, anger and ignorance, one can notice a slight difference in attitude after the meditation. For untrained minds, the time that one notices some positive difference is brief. However, as with most things, regular practice enhances the positive feeling and gradually one's mind becomes habituated to a more positive state.