Dharmaling Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Felix

The Cause For Goodness

Guest Felix

Good evening.

Can anybody tell what is the cause for goodness? Why some people can feel empathy for the others and some not?

I was thinking of people do all kind of practices, while still spending most of their time circling around their self, their feelings, their plans, their achievements, even during the practices, even during benefiting the others. On the other hand, some other people might have no specific religious belief, yet spend all their days and nights taking care for the others, thinking little of themselves and their comfort and a lot about finding the most suitable ways to benefit the others. So I wondered what generates in one person sincere care for the others and what prevents another one from it, why one person is more selfish and another one less?

I find this particularly important because good heart is considered to be the cause for meeting Dharma in one's life.

With best wishes,

Felix

Guest Ani.Chödrön

Not long ago, a wise girl told me about her observations (i try to be loyal to her words, but my memory is not perfect):

"With many people I have a feeling that they just play kindness and compassion, while behind it is something else. Very few people sincerely care for the others. I think this is connected to dealing with suffering. People who are not selfish listen more than talk, and by listening, they find similarities between the suffering of the others and themselves. They do not look at the others from a higher position." After a short pause she added: "One should also experience that it is possible to overcome hardship, to change a situation for better, and to grow. If one knows it, one wants to help the others, if not, one can not help."

Maybe this answers your question. Additional point: throughout our lives, we are accompanied by innumerable Buddhas and Bodhisattvas, disguised in various forms, available with their inspirations, warnings and signs, offering a perfect example of transformation themselves. If one decides to help himself, one can be helped.

All the very best,

chodron

Good morning.

I believe that all the people are basically good, that first impulse in them is always to be good, to benefit to the others. Yet, how they react to this primarily impuls differs regardingly the education, culture, mental state, the level and type of negative emotions, the schemes, which master one`s mind. For example, when going down the street, the mind full of plans, like "I have to hurry to not be late for a meeting", "I have to buy some food for the family", "In the afternoon I have to take a child to the doctor", "I have to pay this and that bill today", "I have to arrange the licence for the car as it is expiring", ...and then some accident happens, some person is hit by a car, everyone would in the moment, if only for a very short moment, forget about their own worries and wish to help that person in the trouble. This, I believe is the same in all situations. But, how each person would react on that, is different. I am not the one to judge other`s reactions, though I can see them through my own mental schemes (can you imagine what a mess this can sometimes be, when my own schemes meet the other`s schemes), but instead I`d prefer to create a space in my mind, in my heart to accept all the sentient beings.

Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing,

there is a field. I'll meet you there. (Rumi)

Guest Felix

Good afternoon.

I believe that all the people are basically good
I agree. My initial question was why it takes eons before a being meets Dharma, and when being on the path, to meet auspicious Vajrayana conditions and reach Enlightenment. Classical texts say that that it is much more likely to regress than progress and that we get the precious human life just once, then we get lost again in the swamps of samsara. It takes some realizations before one is safe from it, being a practitioner doesn't suffice. Buddhism doesn't accept the idea of linear evolution, the progress is not self-understood. If I remember well, the lower the realm is, more it is crowded with beings.

It is not strange, if you answer what one Teacher once asked: how much time do we spend on care for our own good, and how many seconds do we spend on thinking how could we help the others in the best way, to fulfill their mundane needs, as well as the Ultimate? How intense are the feelings towards ourselves and how intense towards the benefit of each other being that we come across? If the scale is not even, than more negative karmic causes are created than positive ones.

The question could be formed also from the point of view of wisdom / peace / sufficient understanding of reality. Or: if one is already deluded, how one can turn towards one's True Nature? This was my reason for writing. I didn't want to make it sound pessimistic, so I didn't expose it this way. For me understanding this mechanism establishes more firm ground for optimism than just knowing that the True Nature exists (buried alive under the mountains of self-cherishing).

Respectfully,

Felix

Guest Ani.Chödrön

Good evening,

the mechanism that leads to the cessation of suffering has been defined: it can be called the fourth Noble Truth, the Eightfold Path. It consists of ethical conduct that gradually turns us away from the selfish concern.

All the very best,

chodron

Hallo :),

It is a very complex topic I believe. Believing that what one experiences is completely true can form this wish to care for what is so wrong with us. Ignorantly selfish we try to help ourself by falling into another deeper hole :(. We rely on selfcherishing and instead of progressing we regress, fall. I find it temptingly hard to not take experiences as firm and true, yet the less firm I see, the more my problems are not so true, the more space is there for others. So I wish for more diligence, courage to see through Samsaric experiences & to put into action the wish to benefit others in all needed ways :prayer:

Guest Felix

Good evening.

Thank you for the answers. Each of them helped me to clarify the topic that I find important.

Respectfully,

Felix

Good evening

I was thinking about this topic too, and I would just like to add one thing: We should first separate the "outer" and the "inner" - what is the proclaimed practice or religion, and what is the internal system of values one adheres to. It seems these two are often quite different.

For example: We could say that however nicely and correctly a prostration is done in form, it must be at the same time an inner prostration too, otherwise ... The same with sitting with your legs crossed in a certain way - by itself, it doesn't seem to bring lots of results.

But some people work a lot on these outer forms. I don't mean this is wrong, maybe they just work from the outer to the inner. Some people tend more to work on the inner values, no matter whether they follow a certain religious or spiritual system or not, and ignore the outer ones. And probably some work on both. ;)

But mainly, what I wanted to say is that different people have a different focus on what is important - for some, the outer appearance is more important. And to some, living in accordance with some ethical values is more important.

But let us not jump to conclusions and say that of course those emphasizing on the internal ethical values are "better" people - if their ethical values are twisted, then ...

All the best.

Good morning.

We could define "outer" as physical and "inner" as spiritual. I believe each sentient being is first spiritual and then it is physical. These two are so thoroughly connected and interdependant, that when ever one works be it on physical or spiritual, in fact, one works on his own mind.

The only tricky thing that I can see, are emotions. I cannot as to compare the mind as an actor/director, the world as playing stage and emotions as "make-up" of one`s mind.

Best regards,

Simona

It takes some realizations before one is safe from it, being a practitioner doesn't suffice.
"This human existence is not to be achieved by force or mere chance; it is the result of positive actions. And because it is rare for beings to accomplish positive actions, a precious human existence is indeed difficult to obtain. Nevertheless, we have now managed to be born into such a state; we have encountered the Buddhadharma, have entered the path and are now receiving teachings. But, if we are unable to practise them, simply listening to the teachings will not in itself liberate us from samsara, and will be of no help to us when we are confronted by the hardships of birth, disease, old age and death. If we do not follow the doctor`s prescription when we are sick, then even if the doctor sits constantly by our side, the pain will not go away." Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche

"This human existence is not to be achieved by force or mere chance; it is the result of positive actions.

I think we should be honest with where we are. If one is stingy, one should look at stinginess, if one is angry one should look at anger, if one is loving, then one looks at lovingness. We can not be something that we are not, but we can slowly become less stingy, less angry,...so less negative, more positive. Step after a step, with peace about our progression, patience also.

Guest Felix

Good evening.

I would like to thank Lama Shenphen Rinpoche and Dharmaling for this polygon of creating so many causes for goodness, wisdom and other benefits for so many people.

With my full respect, :prostate:

Felix