Dharmaling Forums
Sign in to follow this  
draftsman

1000-armed Chenrezig Initiation

Hello,

I have some questions about the 1000 armed Chenrezig initiation given by the Most Venerable Tulku Gyatso Rinpoche in the Dharmaling Center of Ljubljana this morning (July the 13th 2007) - maybe also some of the other participants have similar questions.

I didn't completely understand if we should take the committment of the long mantra and short mantra or either of them. So, I took the committment of short mantras, with the thought that if both are necessary than I take also a committment for a number of long mantras. In this case I am now bound only by short mantras (asking from a 'Dharma-legal' point of view ;) ?

The Most Venerable Tulku Gyatso Rinpoche described the sadhana, but maybe right now we don't know it well enough to practice just by memory (without the written version). When we recite our daily obligations, what visualization should we do - the same as with other practices (Tara, 2 armed Chenrezig, Manjushri) - visualization of the Buddha 1000 arm Chenrezig in 2 m distance from us above our head, seeing light coming from the Buddha and evenutal dissolution or should we visualize something different like ourselves as 1000 arm Chenrezig?

During the initiation I failed to follow some parts completely correctly - for example when we repeated the long mantra after the Most Venerable Tulku Gyatso Rinpoche I probably mispronounced quite some parts and I had problems with some visualizations (e.g. Dakinis, where was each of them and at the beginning of the afternoon session I didn't first understand that one Dakini 'comes' from e.g. the vase and one from the mandala in front of the Most Venerable Tulku Gyatso Rinpoche). Since each part of the visualization including different Dakini was like a connection with one Buddha family, does bad or maybe even erroneous visualization means that part of initiation (connection) could be less strong?

Thank You ;)

Best regards,

Draftsman

I didn't completely understand if we should take the committment of the long mantra and short mantra or either of them.
It was as you decided ie. you could decide to receite for example 21 mantras implying that when you can you would recite the long one and when you would be short in time or sick then you would recite the short one. But you could also say that you will recite 3 long one and 1 mala of short one, as example.

what visualization should we do - the same as with other practices (Tara, 2 arms Chenrezig, Manjushri) - visualization of the Buddha 1000 arm Chenrezig in 2 m distance from us above our head, seeing light coming from the Buddha and evenutal dissolution or should we visualize something different like ourselves as 1000 arm Chenrezig?
The general rule is that without an initiation of the 4th Tantric class, you do not visualize yourself as a Buddha ('self-generation'). But I heard that Chenrezig is an exception.

So, I would say that with Chenrezig Sadhana, you can visualize yourself as Chenrezig, but with any other Buddha you shall wait an Initiation of the MahaAnuttaraYogaTantra; and perform the visualization of the Buddha you do the practice either in front of you or above you (depending of the practice).

Yet, while visualising yourself as the Buddha, do not generate any pride! Or it would spoil your whole practice. "Divine Pride", on the other hand, can be generated but it requieres to have well understood Emptiness and Bodhicitta (otherwise it will be normal, negative, pride).

During the initiation I failed to follow some parts completely correctly
Your motivation, faith, and visualization were the most important. If you didn't repeat correctly the sentences in Tibetan, but understood and hold their meaning, then it is all right.

All the very best,

I am an avid reader (and researcher) and usually before I attempt anything new, I delve into whatever books and other sources I can find on the subject. Chenrezig Practice is something that I see as very important in my life as a Buddhist, and I hope to be initiated soon. Untill that happens I am using the undermentioned text as my practice as an unitiated. The book provides all the mantras (for initiated and uninitiated) as well as the methods to be used for visualisation.

I know that a book can never replace a good teacher, but I think that a knowledgeable person like yourself, who has been initiated will benefit greatly from the book "CULTIVATING A COMPASSIONATE HEART: The Yoga Method of Chenrezig" by Thubten Chodron, foreword by H.H. the Dalai Lama" :angel: